My yota

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spider

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have decided to jump on the band wagon with a yota build. Sold off my bruisers and found a bruiser chassis I had laying for years. I bought it around 2003-2004. I also have some rc4wd scale shocks laying to waste for some time along with a killer transfer case thats been waiting for a proper build. So I think it just found a home.
I picked up a yota body in a trade and this body had more colors on it than a rainbow. lol!
Here's the start of the stripping of the paint.
dscf2793v.jpg

dscf2796f.jpg

dscf2795s.jpg

It needs two body mount holes covered up and a split fixed in the middle of the roof. Had to peel off a sticker that was beneath all those layers of paint. The cab was worse than the bed. I think I counted 7 layers of paint. 3-4 on the bed only.
Was getting some remarks to keep it this way but I dont know I felt better stripping to see what was going on under all that spray. lol! The truck smelled like a fresh paint can.
More pics to come.

Nice project.

nice can't wait to see what u do with this build

what axles u plan on running

Sounds like your off to a great start! What are you using to strip the paint?

Looks like a good start! What color are you painting it?

Nice project.
This looks like a fun project.
Thanks slowgreen & yea hamz9561 I am some what amped up on this. I still ask myself why though. lol! I have other projects going and are sitting giving me the evil eye for starting something else. LOL!
nice can't wait to see what u do with this build

what axles u plan on running
Thanks I am excited about this build and its just fun stripping the paint on something I havent had in a weird sort of way. Sounds strange huh? But after seeing so many yota builds over the years, I figured it was time. And great timing too as I have gotten great deals on the forums from a trade to having all the parts available at my finger tips. :)
And the really funny thing that happened when I started searching for a yota body is that I scored a set of used yota axles for it for a great deal(saved big time on em).
dscf2805w.jpg
This build just couldnt start off any better. no ? lol! trust me I'm scared after all that happened with this build. I can only think what am I in for.... Things are just going way to well with it. lol!
Sounds like your off to a great start! What are you using to strip the paint?
well since I was using brake fluid dot 3 stuff and had one success with a jugg body and then a failure with a jeep body that was rare at the time. I opt for easy off oven cleaner. Figure being this is a new direction for me why not keep it that way. And hope the luck continues.lol! I couldnt beleive the layers of paint on the cab though. I have to do another soaking here and there. Been a few days now since I got to spray any on though. Not much more to go with it now.

What color are you painting it?
Well, I am still thinking on this. I was thinking primer for sure. lol! But not sure if its going to be a beater or something decent or nice????? I was kinda bummed out when I gave it some more ez off treatment when I read on another forum that it was getting rave reviews on the way it looks in the above shots. Alot considered just adding some rust spots and its done. But something about that cab just made me want to tear it to the bare skin and start fresh. Plus I really wasn't a fan of that green on the bed. YUCK!!!! lol! And I was digging the dropped bed and knew I wanted to do that. The cab needs a little repair to the roof and some patching of body mount holes. Wouldnt have seen any of that with all that paint lol.So I'm glad I did decide to strip it to its birthday suit. Now I know what I am dealing with. Plus I need to search on how to add weathering effects. Not sure how you do that.

Last edited:
Well I finally got all the paint off the cab lol!
The rear bed is stripped too.
Puttied up the body holes and fixed the cracks on the roof and the bottom of the windshield.
The first person that bought it must not have had any razor blades to cut the support off it. lol!
I also meddled around with making a new fender extender to get the front fender full again.
Havent made the 2nd one yet. Need to finish up the first one and see how I'm gonna glue it together and support it.
Not sure if I am wasting my time here and if rubbing will occur with 1.5's or not.
Here's some pics
dscf2838b.jpg

dscf2840f.jpg

dscf2841lg.jpg

dscf2842e.jpg

Last edited:
not sure if it matters but on my yota with leafs it hit the fender when it was flexed and at full lock which is why i cut mine but i only cut it up to the bumper not the bottom of the grill

them yota axles are really nice!!!

That was what I was afraid of rollinlow. I kinda figured I wasted my time doing this up. loL! Oh well it only took a half hour total for both of em.
The previous owner cut right up to the bottom of the grill. I was thinking of other bumpers I can make up but havent decided on anything yet. May have to do some research on it.
Yea couldnt pass the deal up on the yota axles. This project was very easy to find the parts for it. Too easy. Usually I'm waiting for weeks/months till something pops up on the for sale sections. lol!
What part of the fender did the wheels rub at full lock? How high up from the bottom of the extender I made? Maybe I can cut up higher. Not sure what I want to do yet or just leave it alone. lol!

Back