My savage .25 project ! ( need advice on big bore shocks)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mackdaddy66

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey, just thought I'd give you guys a update on my savage project truck, I picked it up at a pawn shop with intentions of just using it as a temporary rig until I could afford a new one. But after a closer inspection it had a few things upgraded so i just decided to build it and keep it. Here's what it allready had both servos were Hi-Tech, a integy heat sink engine plate and front shock tower, plus it looked like it was well cared for. I've put on a set of 17 mm hex hubs with chrome dog-bones and rebuildable universals as well as done away with the left -handed thread axles. I've also put on a new set of Savage 5.9 wheels with Terra-pin tires, the engine was pulled in favor of a LRP Z28 SPEC 3, also a Hpi ribbed pipe. just waiting on a new clutch to arrive so i can put it all together. I have a question, Is there a noticable difference in changing this truck to the HPI Big-Bore shocks ? And will the sport shocks fit my savage .25 ?? or do I need the Big Bore Aluminum shocks ? and are there advantages to the aluminum ones ? Oh, and I have a new 72 chevy c10 truck body to finish it off. All suggestions and information is greatly appreciated. thanks Mackdaddy66 !!:\

Ok, I am still needing some advice on shocks, but in the meantime my Savage .25 project aka " THE BEAST " is coming along nicely, future upgrades will include 2.4 ghz radio, integy rear shock mount, and i guess i'll either go with 8 new shocks or the 4 Big Bore shocks, i'll post some pics of it when i'm done, I have a new pro-line 72 chevy c10 body to give it that awesome look. mackdaddy66

the big bore shocks will make a big difference in most cases, if you have them to put on i would use them but the double shock setup on my X works fine for me after i got them adjusted to my liking.

Sounds like it's going to be cool ride! I love the 67-72 Chevy/GMC body style. I would love to get one of those shells myself but I don't Know for sure if it will fit on the Savage X or not.

thanks, i am sure the body will fit a savage x, my truck has a chevy blazer body on it now, looks really good. the thing on the shocks is i can get a new set of 8 shocks on e-bay pretty cheap, but i just thought if the difference in those and the big bores was that much, maybe i should go with the big bores. my trucks a basher, but i want it handle good too, seems like the 8 shock setup it's allways had has worked great in the past. my Birthday is coming up so I get to order another load of savage parts. i love those guys on e-bay that part them out, makes upgrading alot easier and cheaper.

Supposedly having 8 shocks is better for bashing, but I prefer the big bores for bashing. I just went with a heavier shock fluid and rarely have problems bottoming out.

Thats what i done with my 8 shock setup, it just took some trial and error to get them where i wanted, it probably comes down to what each person wants and likes.

so if i leave the 8 shock setup. what weight shock oil would you recommend ? the trucks definately gonna see some heavy bashing, and what weight shock oil does the 8 shock set up come with?

I think i ended up with 40 in mine.

Back