my first scaler!! scx10 trail honcho

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klown

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
done some looking on local craigslist and found someone who had a scx10 and wanted to trade for a nitro... i was glad to trade my associated mgt and he was happy to take it. so a quick drive of each and a shake of the hand and i am now a proud owner of a brand new scx10 that has only been run indoors... the guy looked sad when i turned it on and dropped it in some good dusty gravel! lol. the guy had ordered the RTR version instead of the kit so some metal links are in the near future to rid the truck of the horrable plastic excuses they put on the rtr version. he did put a rc4wd winch on the front, i will have to get a 3-4 channel radio system to make it functional, other than that what are some absolute must have upgrades for this truck? it is currently axial esc and axial 27t motor. i wanna be able to crawl but still have some top end for the trail runs to the rocks. thanks for the help and here is a pic from today on a few rocks... enjoy. nick

Put a sidewinder or the like and a better motor and go to 3s lipo would be really simple and give you top speed and plenty of torque.

i have an extra xl5 and 12t titan laying around from my vxl rusty build, i wasn't sure if that would be a suitable setup or not. would brushless system do well in a setup like this? it would need to be a sensored motor/esc combo if used, correct?

Unless you want alot of speed, Id just stick with a brushed setup. A 35t on 3s with maybe a 15-17t pinion would give you pretty good wheel speed and lots of slow power and run plenty cool I'm pretty sure. Or go with 4s and have alot more speed and lots of slow control still. I just dont like brushless setup on anything thats meant to go slow.

i watched some vids on youtube of the scx with xl5 esc's and 15t -17t motors that seemed to move pretty close to what i want. the ability to slo down and crawl a little and the ability to squash it and have enough wheel speed to make some dust fly off the flat irons or catch a little air on occasion.

on a side note, is there any good mods that i can do myself, i have plenty of expierience with diecast customization and plastic model kits, that are not gonna cost me an arm and leg and have a positive effect and or look on the truck? i know that the plastic cage back half is def gotta go, i plan on doing some tube work and replacing alot if not all the plastic "tube" thats on the truck.

Yeah xl5's work fine, just depends on how bad you hate the double pump reverse on them lol. Just look through some of the other scaler builds, maybe the scaler pictures at the top of this forum section to get some ideas.

Yeah xl5's work fine, just depends on how bad you hate the double pump reverse on them lol.

the ae1 esc that came with the scx 10 has the double pump to reverse as well, that actually seems to be a better setup, once for the brakes and then again to engage the reverse. i have been reading, and will continue to read, just about every scaler post on the site... and there are quite a few killer builds and some amazing builders, yourself mr sng, chip cross and alpinehyperlite just to name a few. hopefully i can learn from the masters and get my scale on!!!:D

from what i have read on here i just hope that i dont get what rolex has... all that build time and never get anything dirty:p: I'm just hoping that they will soon put out some sort of medicine to cure that. lmao, j/k:hehe:

after running thru a few batts in the scx i have decided that i absolutly love this truck! i put a 15t brushed motor on the stock esc and i have plenty of speed now and still the ability to crawl. i have noticed a couple things that i do want to do, a little weight in the wheels is one thing, but i am unsure of how much. the truck currently has 1.9 flatirons on it, i was thinking about a 2.2 wheel and tire setup if it would result in a wider footprint and maybe less rollovers. the stock steering servo location and linkages will make contact with the axle when the suspension is compressed all the way. is there a solution to solve this? i have looked at bta setups for axial but they state they are for the ax10 axles, are they the same?

i do appreciate all the help that i have found here since i started frequenting this site. nick

Last edited:
you want to put a ESC with a drag brake for the rocks. It will make a 100% difference in the way you drive the rig.

I bought the kit but definately the first thing I would do is get an ESC w/ drag brake. Next would be taller tires to help with getting hung up, I went with the Rok lox which are the tallest 1.9's so far and really helped. As for 2.2's I have tried them and they are fun but require some trimming of the body and don't look scale plus I prefer wheelin it with the 1.9's.

Rok lox and Flat Irons
IMG_1000.jpg

2.2 Badlands
IMG_0980.jpg

I also trimmed the front bumper to keep it from hanging up
IMG_1009.jpg

I almost forgot to mention go and get yourself some sensor safe RTV silicone and some plasti-dip for waterproofing your esc, and rx box. It's allot of fun running these things through the creek.

How about some LED's they are fairly cheap to wire up yourself. 14 on mine 4 headlight, 2 front spot, 4 rock lights, 2 brake, 2 rear flood

IMG00236.jpg

just some ideas the Honcho is fun in stock form but like I tell my kids anything worth doing is worth overdoing:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I almost forgot to mention go and get yourself some sensor safe RTV silicone and some plasti-dip for waterproofing your esc, and rx box. It's allot of fun running these things through the creek.

just some ideas the Honcho is fun in stock form but like I tell my kids anything worth doing is worth overdoing:)

i really wanna make everything waterproof so i can do some mudding and running thru water, and i am sure that these trucks are a blast on snow and ice! will the plasti dip work on the steering servo as well? and you just dip the part in the stuff or is there some special application needed?

i most def wanna over do this truck, i like it more than my emaxx, vxl rusty and the nitro that i traded for it, lol...

the steering setup thats on it currently i do not like, i would like to know if the behind the axle kit for the ax10 will work on this truck?

I believe that the BTA steering from the AX10 should work on it.

will the plasti dip work on the steering servo as well

If you have the stock steering servo in there you are going to end up replacing it anyway, I would go with a Hi-tec servo They are dust/water resistant according to the company - I am using a 645MG $36 and it has spent most of the last 3 months under water:)

the steering setup thats on it currently i do not like, i would like to know if the behind the axle kit for the ax10 will work on this truck?

Basically with the SCX10 kit you have one option when it comes to moving the steering because it is a scaler. You can chassis mount the servo with a panhard bar. Hand Bros makes a great setup that bolts right in so you won't have to make your own but it is $50. You can also try some high clearance knuckles if you are hanging up on the steering but I found that once I went to taller tires and a beefier servo those problems went away.

I just use the traxxas waterproof on my SCX.

Back