my first gen savage wont run help please

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowboard411

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
ok i just picked up a used as is savage with the first gen .21 i have good compression. glow plug is brand new, the only way i can get it to run for a about 5 sec is if i keep primeing it on the fuel tank. my question is how many turns should my low end and top end needles turned out when there all the way tighten down?? like how many turns do you guys go usually?? if that makes since

Did you get the manual with it? That'll have the facotry needle settings in it. If not you can find all of the old manuals on the HPI site...

I have the S-25 with the race tank, IIRC the S-21 with the primer tank had issues with air leaks. Perhaps try sealing the primer plunger, or better yet, remove it and plug the tank. Still better yet, replace the tank with the S-25 and newer race tank.

HTH...
Mark

i did not get the manual with it un fortently

As stated, hpi's website has them. +1 on sealing the plunger. No need for it anyway. Make sure the whole fuel system is sealed, along with the header and pipe coupler. Was the truck supposed to run when you bought it? If so, don't mess with the needles. They're a lot more likely to be in the ball park where they're at, as opposed to factory settings. Normally, factory settings are much too rich for a broken-in engine to run long.

From the HPI 3.5 (.21 BB) engine manual:

The HSN is factory set to 3 1/2 turns. After break-in, the needle can range from 2 1/2 to 3 turns from fully closed depending upon humidity, elevation, fuel and glow plug.

The LSN is factory set to 3 1/2 turns. After break-in, the needle can range from 2 1/2 to 3 turns from fully closed...

"The mid-range adjustment screw is pre-set from the factory to 3 1/4 turns from fully closed. It is recommended that you do not adjust the mid-range adjustment screw.

That should get you in the ballpark.
Adjust your settings by engine temp using sound and smoke coming out of the pipe as other guides.

Good tuning information:
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60832

thanks guys i got her running today

Back