Mutant, 18t CB and rough idle

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NASCARnut

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey all,

Real qiuck, I just wanted to say that the Hardcore Mutant head, CV-X, and an 18 tooth CB really makes this thing scream. I'm very close to being able to wheelie from a dead stop.:D

Anywho, the engine has a really wierd idle. I have to turn the idle up a little high to get it started. After turning the idle down, and running it for a alittle bit, I'll stop it, and it will idle fine for a couple of seconds, but then it will start to idle a little higher and sound rough. It doesn't go up and down it just sounds rough after a couple seconds. I don't have much fuel through the engine and it seems to have good compression.

Oh, and after I land, say, nose first or roll the engine cuts:(

Thanx:cheers:

Man I would start by looking for air leaks sounds like a very possible issue to me. X

X is exactly right. I have the exact same setup, with an rrp flywheel and mip clutch. I also have the KHB easy start adapter, one more place for an air leak. I had an almost identical problem, I messed with it a couple weeks on and off. Finally I just tore it down completely, replaced and sealed the backplate gasket, and sealed the engine completely, rebuilt the carb and sealed it too. Now its running great. Air leaks are such a pain in the ass to find to me its just easier to do it all.

Well I was gonna say to just pull the motor and reseal the whole thing but i thought some would call that overkill but since Nc said it I will get on that wagon. Just attack the problem head on cause air leaks suck resealing it all is the best thing in my opion for that problem.

Spend 6 bucks get a couple seal kits and then see what happens.
O.S. Gasket Set .12

O.S. Gasket #3A2CBD carb base

O.S. O-Ring Metal Valve 1.20 Surpass needle seal

O.S. O-Ring IV/PRC #6H needel seal

Grab the bull by the horns man with air leaks its easier than doin it a piece at a time. X

Thanx a lot. This would have to happen when I'm broke.:sneaky:

Oh, well, I'll find something to do. My E-Pede isn't nearly as fun as my T:ball:

EDIT:I looked at the gasket set and realized I don't think I even have the seal around the metal gaket.....

Last edited:
X 789, the O.S. Gasket Set .12 dosen't work with the .15. The metal gasket is too small. (I found out the hard way)

TH dosen't have one of those for the .15. Now I'm stuck:(

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it.:eek: I'm going to return the gasket I ordered, but I cut open the package. So do you know if they will take it back?

Last edited:
Back