Must have upgrades for the T-Maxx...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxxAir75

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
What are the MUST HAVE upgrades for the T-Maxx?

Definately a fuel filter and a Motor saver air filter. Beyond that just wait till stuff breaks and replace it with better stuff.

upgrades

you will be needing some stronger A arms
some ally bulkheads
and a big fat super charger
20% fuel
Go Faster Crash HARDER

the aluminum bulks arent a MUST have but if/when you break em you can replace them with alluminum same with A-arms but when you break em upgrade em.

Originally posted by MaxxAir75
What are the MUST HAVE upgrades for the T-Maxx?

for me, the must have upgrades for the t-maxx was anything that had to do with the suspension, steering, chassis, driveline, and engine. basically i had to upgrade the t-maxx till the point that about only 10 percent or so of the truck is still made by traxxas. but everyone treats and drives there trucks at there own level of abuse..and for me ALOT of abuse is the only way to have fun.

but i would recommend -- everything from RPM products for the t-maxx, aluminum bulkheads, motor saver filter. that should do it for a nice tough truck.

Aside from the must haves (air filter and fuel filter), I think the first thing I would dump would be the weak shocks that come stock on the T-Maxx. Go for something in the all aluminum construction category. Also, get some upgraded springs (Trinity Blue or Black work great).

After that, turnbuckles seem to be the next weak link. Get some Lunsford titanium turnbuckles with some beefy rod ends by RPM and you should not have to replace them again any time soon.

After that, you are moving into nice to haves and replace as you go kind of parts. The bulkheads, chassis braces, better pipe, better engine, shock towers, etc.

The sky is the limit or more correctly...your wallet it the limit. But if you have to prioritize, get the shocks upgraded first.

i would reccomend doing some research and finding the best steering servo that would suit your t maxxin the best.

higher credit card limit :thumbsup: and then like sky said better shocks, umm rpm a-arms, How about a failsafe if you dont already have one, and then wokr from there.

Sky, have you ever thought about making an informational post about what should be the first upgrades for the car and perminently sticking it to the top of the forum because someone different asks the same thing each week?

Yea that should be at the top, or mabey a subdivision at the top of the page something like "frequently asked questions". What do you think.

LOL...WoodiE beat me to the punch. The question will continue to get asked. We provide the information either by answering the question in a post, or referring people to the link that Mike posted above.

As for what the right answer is, I think that more users could benefit greatly from using the Search function of the site. Could probably save themselves and the rest of us a bunch of time by looking for the information before asking the same questions. But, the questions still get asked...and we still must answer them as best we can. Kind of a freaky cycle, but all a part of running a forum and enjoying this hobby.

I think upgrades kind of depend on how much a of a wrencher you are too.

LIke for example stock slider axles. They seem to hold up ok, and last lng enough to warrant not upgrading them (they're so stinkin cheap)

The problem is, I hate wrenching when I honestly have the time to bash. So for me, the next time something breaks I'm going to be getting something that doesn't. I am willing to pay the price, and sometimes go without fuel for a "hard to break" part. In my case the next upgrade is $40+ axles.

For other people they plop down $8 for a set of stock sliders, and don't mind fixen and wrenchen when they break.

One aspect to think of when you go aluminum. You have to make sure the rest of the truck is going to hold up. Throw on aluminun a-arms without the bulks, and you'll be buyin bulks shortly lol.

do the bulks and a-arms right away, the air filter and fuel filter, and replace with better as stuff breaks!!

Originally posted by lykan
I think upgrades kind of depend on how much a of a wrencher you are too.

LIke for example stock slider axles. They seem to hold up ok, and last lng enough to warrant not upgrading them (they're so stinkin cheap)

The problem is, I hate wrenching when I honestly have the time to bash. So for me, the next time something breaks I'm going to be getting something that doesn't. I am willing to pay the price, and sometimes go without fuel for a "hard to break" part. In my case the next upgrade is $40+ axles.

For other people they plop down $8 for a set of stock sliders, and don't mind fixen and wrenchen when they break.

One aspect to think of when you go aluminum. You have to make sure the rest of the truck is going to hold up. Throw on aluminun a-arms without the bulks, and you'll be buyin bulks shortly lol.

when i first started out last fall in R/C..i hated wrenching. now i can't stop myself from messing with my r/c's everyday...i have to take something apart and see if i can mod it better or just adjust it somehow!

If i were you id save my money for repairs and stuff... The maxx really doesn't have that much to be done except loctite all metal to metal things and break in and bash! later