MT tire weights tested

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gablett

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So I got a professional gram scale to get some accurate measurements of tire weights for my savage. So I have 4 different types of tires.

1. Stock tires
2. Proline Badlands premounted
3. Proline Trencher X premounted
4. Proline Trencher 40 series premounted

So here are the weights and photos.

IMG_1086_zpsa03fb6d1.jpg

IMG_1087_zps6862b797.jpg

IMG_1088_zpsafc32676.jpg

IMG_1089_zps8ba5ed55.jpg

So I am surprised how light the badlands are. I might switch back to them. They do make a noticeable difference in the top speed due to being pretty small. And their grip is amazing so they dont slide around well if you like that. My second favorite are the Trencher 40 series. They are narrower, but taller than the x's so the weight is pretty close. Stock tires are on the light side. And no surprise the trencher x's tip the scale. Hope this helps someone make tire decisions.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I've had both the Badlands and Trencher X's and it seemed like the Trenchers were a fair amount heavier. Though I never have owned a gram or kitchen scale to measure them. Also makes me wonder were the more traditional 1/8 buggy tire like the Bowties would weigh in by comparison.

Obviously for acceleration wheel/tire weight makes a difference. But for anyone considering Trenchers vs. Badlands, keep in mind that the Badlands will not last long at all if used on asphalt on a blazing hot day. Where as the Trenchers do have a lot of tread life in them for most uses.

Gablett thats a great idea posting weights of tires and wheels. :thumbup:
I have a set of Imex Jumbo Maxx tires and wheels that weigh about 1lb. each.
Very Heavy.

I have some 1/8 buggy wheels both spoke and dish, 1/8 truggy dish wheels and
pretty good assortment of T Maxx, Revo, MGT, Savage compatible wheels I'll weigh in and post.

Gablett thats a great idea posting weights of tires and wheels. :thumbup:
I have a set of Imex Jumbo Maxx tires and wheels that weigh about 1lb. each.
Very Heavy.

I have some 1/8 buggy wheels both spoke and dish, 1/8 truggy dish wheels and
pretty good assortment of T Maxx, Revo, MGT, Savage compatible wheels I'll weigh in and post.

Thanks. Yea when I was buying tires I kept looking for weight specs and no one seemed to have any so I wanted to help anyone else out looking for tires. There is a noticeable difference, like big difference, in power when running the trenchers vs the badlands. But I'm sooo torn. I like the looks of the trencher a lot, actually looks like a MT. But the badlands are so much lighter, way easier on the drive train, and have insane traction. My only concern is I like to jump alot, so does everyone think the added cushion of the larger tires is needed? Just for reference I also run 45 weight shock oil to help on impact.

I believe that the Trenchers would absorb the shock of landing big air better. But bigger is more strain in comparison. And land a large jump with power on and heavier tire is going to cause more drivetrain stress for sure.

Back