Mounting Tires....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanson357

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I picked up set street tires and Traxxas rims for the Maxx. Got everything layed out a few nites ago and let it sit to tgive the foam some time to come back to shape. Last nite I decided It was time to put it all together. The tires went on the rims without a hitch but whenit came to getting the bead n position I was ready rip my hair out. The area on the rims where the bead should sit seems so deep. I wrestled with ONE tire for almost an hour before I had to remove myself from the situation.:angry:
Do you guys know of any tips or tricks to get the bead to seat properly? I will try to get some pics up when I get home this afternoon.
Thanks in advance guys,
Hanson357

TIRE1.gif

TIRE2.gif

TIRE4.gif

Well I took some pics and maybe these will give a better idea of what I was describing. It hit me today that I may have the wrong size tire. The wheels are Traxxas stock T-Maxx rims. The tires said they were for the T-Maxx.
The diameter of the tire seems to work but as you can see in the pics, there is almost no sidewall, they just dont look right to me.
I was having a hard time with the bead also, it didnt seem to fit properly in the rim.
Am I missin something here guys?Both the rims and the tires were marked as being for the T-Maxx. Any ides or input would be greatly appreciated. Or maybe suggestions on a different set of road tires?
Thanks again guys!
Hanson

Was one of your sets for the 3.3 and the other for a standard Maxx? Just a guess, but the wheels look too big and the 3.3 is larger than other Max wheels.

Was one of your sets for the 3.3 and the other for a standard Maxx? Just a guess, but the wheels look too big and the 3.3 is larger than other Max wheels.

So all T-Maxx tires are not the same? My truck is an older 2.5 that I just dropped a new 3.3 in. Well that would explain things!
Thanks Racer!

Hanson, Where did you get those tires and how much were they?

Hanson, Where did you get those tires and how much were they?

Ajames,
I picked them up at a small hobby store in Hanover PA that was going out of business. I only paid $6 for all four, I think that was %75 off. They are the 'Road Dawg' from a company called IMEX.
Considering what I payed I am not too concerned if these dont fit the rims.
Hanson

Those tires look way to small for the rims you are putting them on, from the pic it looks more like a ribbed tire that you would put on the front of a 2.2 stadium truck, then a road tire, is this what they look like? http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=IMX7407&Show=TechSpecs , just wondering because your pics look nothing like these road dawgs...I think what you have is the RIB DAWG.. which is what you would use on the front of the two wheel drive Maxx truck for racing.

Last edited:
I thought they looked big for the rims but hell for 6 bucks, who cares. And hanover sounds familiar, I live in PA.

yeah thats def the wrong size rim for that tire. you have to read the lables carefully before you glue anything. right from the start you should have noticed something was wrong. you can boil the rims and tires in water to remove the glue and get the right sized tire, or rim. if you can get the right sized tire for $6 go back and get another set!

Those tires look way to small for the rims you are putting them on, from the pic it looks more like a ribbed tire that you would put on the front of a 2.2 stadium truck, then a road tire, is this what they look like? http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=IMX7407&Show=TechSpecs , just wondering because your pics look nothing like these road dawgs...I think what you have is the RIB DAWG.. which is what you would use on the front of the two wheel drive Maxx truck for racing.

Good call, I must have had a brain fart between the basement and getting back to my PC. They are the 'Rib Dawg'
I never even got the bottle of glue out, wanted to make sure everything fit properly first.
The hobby shop I bought them at a few months ago has since closed...oh well...
I really appreciate everyone's help, thanks again guys.
Anyone interested in these tires? I have no use for em. 4 tires and the foam inserts (I ripped a few of the foams puttin them in the tire) but I am keeping the rims. I don't want anything in return, I'll even pick up the few dollars for shipping, maybe just do something nice for someone else.
Not sure how I should go about doing this, I guess the first name and address in my PM account gets em. Sound fair?
Hanson

Back