Mounting the battery to the front of Rustler rear wheel drive

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heisenburg

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Boating
I originally dismissed the idea of moving the battery of my Rustler from the bottom center to the top of the front bulkhead, for safety reasons. I am afraid a good front end collision could cause the battery cells to short and explode. But sizing it up, it seems to make some sense for a non-race car, especially with a STNC aluminum from bumper.
Would it be worth it? Any other ideas to make it safe?

Lipos dont explode the hiss then smoke then fire until flammables are burnt off..not worth the upfront on anything unsafe.....

Lipos dont explode the hiss then smoke then fire until flammables are burnt off..not worth the upfront on anything unsafe.....
Yeah, that's why I did my Racing Rustler with the battery in the stock location, and I banned anyone else racing my league from putting the battery there.
Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever done it? I think I have already completed my quest to minimize understeer on acceleration, but just for fun, does the battery up front make it do crazy donuts?

Yeah, that and it seems to raise the center of gravity dramatically. Anyone want to see pics of my "balanced" Rustlers? One velineon, 1 Hobby wing

I also did my home grown Slash dragster, or "Slagster" with the ESC mounted up front. Not sure I am trying to save weight, as many people use ballast weight the keep the front wheel planted on that one, but anything that can top 100 mph I imagine you don't want to be too light. I keep thinking of a cereal box with cardboard wheels attempting that.

Here is the battery location when my Rusty was running flat track grass oval. 2s x 4600 7.6v Graphene HV 'Shorty'. That gave the ability to move the battery fore or aft for balance. Used AE foam spacers to locate the battery in place. Truth be told, a graphene shorty is so light, moving it about made no difference in handling that I could tell. I like a push (understeer) on the Rusty anyway. Did have to fabricate a full-length battery hold down for that application. Cheers. 'AC'

Attachments

• 20201123_122045_7.6v Graphene.jpg
    20201123_122045_7.6v Graphene.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 52
Back