Motor Saver problem and solution

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrClean

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
This is no secret, I've heard others talk about it, thought I'd just share my pics. I bought a MS air filter for my Revo, and while it has the bend in the tube that's necessary to avoid the spur gear... a loose engine mount will ruin that MS air filter tube. So I decided to super glue my stock filter tube to the MS filter head. I used quite a bit of glue so I had to hold the tube in place for about 2 minutes until it finally set up enough to hold on it's own. I then ran a bead around the outside of the tube (may not help any, but it made me feel better:D). The nice thing about this, since I still have the stock throttle/brake servo box, the air filter will fit nicely there and no more worries about the spur gear damage.
Revo001-1.jpg

Revo002-1.jpg

Revo003-1.jpg

Sorry for the crappy out of focus pics, I need a new digital camera. :angry:

Last edited:
Wow, great idea! Someone at my LHS had this problem also so I'll be sure to let them know about this.

BTW: For your camera problems, I have a nice digital camera that could be a great project in my for sale thread and I could let it go to your for a bit down. I can give you the link on how to fix it also.

although that is a great idea and i dont want to take anything away from you on a good idea, i think the other way to marry these two pieces is actually a little more reliable..

you can dremel the back of the MS body out to the same size hole as the back of the stock air filter body and just pop the stock neck into the MS body the same way that you would assemble the stock filter body and neck..

that is how i have mine done and it works great, not to mention you dont have to remove anything from the carb to change the filter itself... just pop the front of the MS out and slip the old filter out and slide the new one in..

although that is a great idea and i dont want to take anything away from you on a good idea, i think the other way to marry these two pieces is actually a little more reliable..

you can dremel the back of the MS body out to the same size hole as the back of the stock air filter body and just pop the stock neck into the MS body the same way that you would assemble the stock filter body and neck..

that is how i have mine done and it works great, not to mention you dont have to remove anything from the carb to change the filter itself... just pop the front of the MS out and slip the old filter out and slide the new one in..

No worries, it wasn't my idea I just decided to put up the pictures of the finished product. I was thinking about doing it the way you described too. I have a tool that is somewhat like a dremel, except mine has a 4 amp motor on it and only 1 speed. For doing delicate modifications, it doesn't really work too well, it has a tendency to destroy any fine work I attempt. :hehe:

I agree though, your way is more secure and easier to use. I find myself pulling the entire thing off to put in the ARO, but still your way I believe is better for ensuring no contaminated air gets into the carb. I can see my version developing a leak where it's glued and causing motor problems obviously. I think I'm going to look at investing in a cheap dremel type tool. :thumbup:

actually if i remember correctly, i think i used a wood paddle type bit for my cordless drill to modify mine.... use a tape measure and get the diameter of the hole in the stock filter body... i think it is like 3/4 or 7/8.... then just hold the filter body on a block of scrap wood so the front of it is facing up... stick the bit down through and drill away... just try to keep the filter body centered or at least close, doesn't have to be perfect... if you arent sure on the size, just start small...

Never thought about a paddle bit, that's a good idea! And I believe I have enough sizes to make it work. Thanks for the tip!

Back