Most informative nitro carb video ever!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzanzirc

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I came across this gem yesterday.

It's one thing when people TELL you how the needles work on a nitro carb, but it's another thing when someone SHOWS you.

It's given me a better understanding on what each needle does and how it affects the mixture when turning it.

Looks to be a great video. Gonna have to watch it tonight. Thanks for sharing.

The biggest mistake I see/hear most with nitro tuning is before even trying to start a used nitro for the first time , is touching all the needles, never do this.

The biggest mistake I see/hear most with nitro tuning is before even trying to start a used nitro for the first time , is touching all the needles, never do this.
I think if one is not very mechanically inclined, not interested in tuning and just want to run a nitro for the sake of it, sure. Take it to a hobby shop and let them set it for you.

I didn't touch my needles until after I started mine, but have started fiddling.

I have not touched my LSN yet. I will soon! :cool: But I've tinkered with my idle and HSN screws. One to get my carb opening set, and well, now to replace the o-ring on the HSN. 🤣

I would say, if you REALLY want to touch and turn them, turn them towards the richer side. Not the lean side.

I think if one is not very mechanically inclined, not interested in tuning and just want to run a nitro for the sake of it, sure. Take it to a hobby shop and let them set it for you.

I didn't touch my needles until after I started mine, but have started fiddling.

I have not touched my LSN yet. I will soon! :cool: But I've tinkered with my idle and HSN screws. One to get my carb opening set, and well, now to replace the o-ring on the HSN. 🤣

I would say, if you REALLY want to touch and turn them, turn them towards the richer side. Not the lean side.
It is quite involved to get all needles synced again, was my point, again, before running

My process for carb tuning when I know a carb is whacked out has been this:

1. Set the idle gap to 1.0mm
2. Find the factory needle settings and set it to that.
3. If they aren't available, then set both needles flush to housing.
4. If it still won't fire up, put in a new glow plug.
5. If still not firing, now I begin playing with the LSN until it starts.
6. Once it starts, tweak the LSN until the idle is good and smooth, and there's not a lot of fuel spitting out.
7. Shut off and make sure it restarts. This will verify the LSN setting is still good enough to get enough fuel in.
8. Check when revving, if there's a lot of smoke, start leaning out the HSN.
9. Give it a full throttle blast and make sure it's not cutting out due to fuel starvation. If it is, richen the LSN and try again. If that's still happening, set the LSN back and richen the HSN a little.
10. Now I'm in the ballpark, I tweak the HSN some for best performance, while still seeing a decent amount of smoke when hitting throttle hard.