More computer field questions.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candyman

'Cuse is in the house!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I know we have a lot of computer techs here and frankly it always amazes (and confuses) me to hear all that technical stuff. I have always been interested in computers, but as sly said, computer guys are a dime a dozen. So, I have been thinking for a while about some sort of side job that I can do at home to pad my pockets. And I was thinking that the computer field might give me some ideas. I was thinking PC repair, but not sure. I'm more thinking of teaching myself HTML and doing freelance web site design. What do you guys think of that? Could it be a profitable venture? Seems like you don't really need anything special to do it. And it sure beats working at McDonalds to make ends meet...

Originally posted by Candyman
Seems like you don't really need anything special to do it...

I for one can assure you that you DO indeed need something special - skill. The computer/ IT market is flooded with everything and html is no exception. Plain ol html is pretty easy to learn and even easier if you drop the money for a professional package like Dreamweaver MX 2004 - learning to write valid html code such as xhtml or even html 4.01 is the harder part and if you're doing xhtml more time then not you'll be using CSS as well. So now you find yourself learning two or three web languages instead of the one. If you're creative and have good ideas for web design you'll go far, if you're just re-doing what everyone else has or is doing then you'll be no more ahead then you are now.

Computer tech is pretty easy, but then I've been doing it for more then 10yrs now. Again if you don't know much about computers right now, dont expect people to pay you. You've got to at least know more then the average joe, if not then what do you know that they dont?

-Michael

yeah I would get into it for a hobby, but you will have to do something drastically different to shine above the rest. I have also been wrenching on PC's for 10+ years so it takes awhile. Sure you can put a computer together but experience and accessing sitiuations and problems comes with time. You might be lucky like me and "just have a gut for it".

I have to agree with humbolt. I do not have any training in computers at all. I have degrees in music and a degree in electronic engineering. I have learned everything from experience and just blowing up computer after computer and fixing it.

There is always money to be had. But the days of the MCSE or CNA pulling $75,000 or more is gone. You really have to show your worth and be almost be irreplaceable.

In my opinion the money in this industry is geared more toward Voice or Video over IP. Or just communications in general. The basic networking part is pretty much covered at this point.

There is always room for a guy that can program routers the right way.

The big company's are also scaling back on there IT Dept's and expecting the guys left to be able to pick up the slack.

Its actually getting harder and harder to break into the industry. The Job market is getting tougher and tougher. after the whole e-commerce thing blew up a few years ago... the market got flooded with people looking for work at a cut rate. So here you got guys that can run huge networks on a international scale excepting jobs that they would never do. Or alot of the Jobs are getting shipped to india. (programing is a big one).

I just consider myself lucky. I am not rocking the financial world but I am in a stable job and pretty much act as my own boss. I get to play with alot of cool toys and learn a ton of stuff.

This is not to discourage you at all. Its just a bit of background into the industry.

I you are interested the best thing you can do is setup a small network in your house. This is how I first started learning. I think I was the only guy on the block that had an active directory network running in my kitchen LOL..

You can buy a few computers cheap and even get the OS software cheap on ebay etc. Then you can start setting up for different situations and building it and tearing it down over and over until you are comfortable and confident in your skills.

I probably get asked 20 times a month by people that want me to hook up a router to there cable modem and network there home computers.... wired and wireless. If you learn how to do that you probably could make some side dough.

Wow I am rambling LOL

I'm going to look at this a bit different than the rest. I'm in the computer field but am not a technician.

It doesn't matter what level your at you will know more than other people. If you can find people that know less and are willing to pay you for your knowledge, you are in business.

On any given week I turn away or refer 15-20 billable hours of tech time not including parts and software. On the low end $40 per hour on the average $80.00 per hour. This business is all end users looking to have viruses removed, Tune ups, Home Networking, upgrades, and Router setup. I have been looking for a CAPABLE local technician for several months now and haven't found one that I'm comfortable putting my name on that is willing to take the pay I'm willing to give.

Yes the market is flooded but the GOOD technicians are all used to making 100k a year and wont settle for less. The smart money in this field (If your not looking for a title) is in servicing the end user and small home businesses. They need help and have no where to go.

JMHO.

Originally posted by FastEddy
I'm going to look at this a bit different than the rest. I'm in the computer field but am not a technician.

It doesn't matter what level your at you will know more than other people. If you can find people that know less and are willing to pay you for your knowledge, you are in business.

On any given week I turn away or refer 15-20 billable hours of tech time not including parts and software. On the low end $40 per hour on the average $80.00 per hour. This business is all end users looking to have viruses removed, Tune ups, Home Networking, upgrades, and Router setup. I have been looking for a CAPABLE local technician for several months now and haven't found one that I'm comfortable putting my name on that is willing to take the pay I'm willing to give.

Yes the market is flooded but the GOOD technicians are all used to making 100k a year and wont settle for less. The smart money in this field (If your not looking for a title) is in servicing the end user and small home businesses. They need help and have no where to go.

JMHO.

So when do I start and what's the pay?

I also turn away tons of work. I just don't want the people I work for to think they own me because I networked there home PC's.

There are plenty of people that don't even have a clue. If you are looking to make some side money and you become some what competent in hardware and software setups... yup you are in business.

Working in the computer business is so broad its mind boggling.

I enjoy running the network here. 600 workstations 2000+ users about 14 servers. Can be stressful but also fun.

Back