mini mgt 3.0

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sur3fir3

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
Well I have Stock Mini MGT 3.0 (well it has intecrap piggybacks on it). I purchased it used off ebay a year ago to try to re-enter the hobby. The engine that came with it had numerous problems along with a bad carb. The plan was to get the New Era BB kit and get an engine. That never happened. It didnt even get more than 1 gal through it.

This is how it sits now:

Top View:
topweb.gif

Side View:
sideweb.gif

Here is my list of items.

New Era Big block kit - Purchased
F/R Universal Dog bone kit Found here
F/R Diff x1 - Need
New Tie Rods - Need
Main Gear Box - Need /Havent found it in stock anywhere
Tranny Gears for FOC and rebuild - Need /Need to look them up.
New Steering Servo - Need /need advice on what to get
New Throttle servo - Need /need advice on what to get
Aluminum A Arms F/R - Need /can only find intecrap. anyone else know of better?
Aluminum Tranny Case - Need /" "
Aluminum Shock Towers - Need /" "
Aluminum Skid plates - Need /" "
Aluminum F/R Steering Blocks - Need /" "

I am going to be putting my K5.9 engine in this Mini MGT. The plan is, my daugther is coming in July, and I would like to have a running truck she could have some fun with on the pavement, or dirt. I will try to keep the bigger jumps for the savage XL. She is 14, so with a bit of training I am sure she will be able to run either truck.

Last edited:
Most of the upgrades look good however I would shy away from the aluminum a-arms. If your gonna let your daughter bash it remember that they wont flex back to shape when she hits something. Once bent they are pretty much FUBAR. IMO RPM arms. Also while I imagine a 5.9 would be plain rediculous in a mini you may wanna upgrade the balance of the drivetrain to handle all the extra power. IMO MIP at every corner and up the center. Good luck with the project and show some more picks when completed!!!

Most of the upgrades look good however I would shy away from the aluminum a-arms. If your gonna let your daughter bash it remember that they wont flex back to shape when she hits something. Once bent they are pretty much FUBAR. IMO RPM arms. Also while I imagine a 5.9 would be plain rediculous in a mini you may wanna upgrade the balance of the drivetrain to handle all the extra power. IMO MIP at every corner and up the center. Good luck with the project and show some more picks when completed!!!

Here is the issue I have found, RPM doesn't make parts for the MGT 3.0 and as far as MIP, I've got to get the measurements and see if any other kits are the same length, because there isnt one specifically for the mini MGT. This is the only reason I was going to go Aluminum, the aluminum parts are quite cheap.. I can replace the A Arms, towers, transmission, basically every plastic part except drivetrain for about $100, But i will keep searching.