MGT teardown!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hulkmaxx

Wanna know my secrect. I'm always ANGRY!
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well last couple weekends have been rough on my MGT! I decided after beating the immortal crap out of it for like two seasons in a row better tear it down and do the clean and inspect stuff. found it odd my rear diff had minimal wear but I had some noticeably chipped teeth on my ring gear on the front diff. It is still usable but I doubt it makes it the entire season. Still can't believe the beatings this rig has taken with little to no breakage!

View attachment 13771

Last edited:
These trucks really do take a beating. Any planned upgrades while it's apart?

Another set of 17mm splined hex hubs like I am running on my other MGT. So tired of stripping the standard 14mm-17mm hex hubs. Maybe an RC Solutions roll cage. I wish AE would produce an upgraded diff for these trucks. Not that I have totally destroyed the stockers but they do seem some what the weakest link even with proper shimming done. Not sure how they hold up with big brushless power on the Rival since they use the same diff as far as I know.

Well I got it completely tore down cleaned and everything inspected. Looks like the money for the RC Solutions cage is going for another steering servo mine pooped out tonight. I decided to put a set of splined 17mm hubs to use that I had sitting around on a shelf queen. Tired of ripping the center out of those 14mm hex hub wheels. Anyhow heres some pics. I stuck those HPI wheels and tires on there just to see what it looked like. I bet those diffs wouldn't last long running those LOL! Going to place an order for some back up diffs and servo tonight.

View attachment 13793

View attachment 13794

View attachment 13795

View attachment 13796

Last edited:
Well she isn't clean anymore got two tanks through doing some solo bashing LOL!

Well surprised those +18mm itegy hubs held up even in some hardcore cartwheels! Three full tanks through it, still got the hanging throttle after a WOT pass don't know what's up? I usually don't have this much of an issue with tuning. I have sealed up the engine good maybe it's a carb issue.