MGT Engine replacement

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankCatton

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I've had this truck since 2004. I bought it brand new and used it for a few years, made lots of upgrades to it and put it on the shelf until till last month. I've been restoring it and using it a lot over the last month. The engine is just tired and doesn't make the power I want. I have been out of the game for so long I dont know what is even worth putting into it at this point. Any recommendations? Local Hobby shop has a used MGT 8.0 engine apparently. But I dont know much about them

I've had this truck since 2004. I bought it brand new and used it for a few years, made lots of upgrades to it and put it on the shelf until till last month. I've been restoring it and using it a lot over the last month. The engine is just tired and doesn't make the power I want. I have been out of the game for so long I dont know what is even worth putting into it at this point. Any recommendations? Local Hobby shop has a used MGT 8.0 engine apparently. But I dont know much about them ,

You really do need to know your skilz dealing with that 8.0 engine ,it is a beast & a fuel hog ,
to me in my opinion ,it is not worth having just to have more power ,it will be the biggest
head ache that you will ever have!
You can try a 28 Dynamite engine ,or if you want a little bigger ,spend the coin for the LRP 32!..:thumbs-up:

You really do need to know your skilz dealing with that 8.0 engine ,it is a beast & a fuel hog ,
to me in my opinion ,it is not worth having just to have more power ,it will be the biggest
You can try a 28 Dynamite engine ,or if you want a little bigger ,spend the coin for the LRP 32!..:thumbs-up:
Why is it going to be a headache? Is it hard to dial in? Or is it to going to be hard to make it work with my existing parts?

Why is it going to be a headache? Is it hard to dial in? Or is it to going to be hard to make it work with my existing parts?

No ,it is not hard ,I had converted my 4.6 to the 8.0 before ,however ,you have to have the
specific engine mount in which the 8.0 is much larger ,also ,the transmission in the original 8.0
version is much beefier an in fact actually came with a spur gear stabilizer mount an the engine
mount itself had a steel plate under it as well!
On mine ,I did not install those ,just mounted the engine with its mount ,it ran quite well ,
but the engine was quite fenicky on tuning an it had a bad starter design that was weak an
had a tendency to just fall apart!... :cool:

No ,it is not hard ,I had converted my 4.6 to the 8.0 before ,however ,you have to have the
specific engine mount in which the 8.0 is much larger ,also ,the transmission in the original 8.0
version is much beefier an in fact actually came with a spur gear stabilizer mount an the engine
mount itself had a steel plate under it as well!
On mine ,I did not install those ,just mounted the engine with its mount ,it ran quite well ,
but the engine was quite fenicky on tuning an it had a bad starter design that was weak an
had a tendency to just fall apart!... :cool:
I’m pretty mechanically inclined. I work on cars in my garage all the time. I’m sure I could fab out motor mounts out of some steel. I was looking at the LRP .32 and it’s rated at 4.56 HP! Man these things have changed. The 8.0 I’m under the impression of it makes 1.80-2?

I’m pretty mechanically inclined. I work on cars in my garage all the time. I’m sure I could fab out motor mounts out of some steel. I was looking at the LRP .32 and it’s rated at 4.56 HP! Man these things have changed. The 8.0 I’m under the impression of it makes 1.80-2?

Well ,I am not going to lie ,it did have a ton of bulk monster power that put the truck in a constant
wheely stand!...:hehe:
But not sure what the rating was ,it was defenitly scary think it was going to destroy the tranny ,
but if you can hang with the mechanics side of it then go ahead an try it out!...:thumbs-up:
That plate was just a simple flat plate that went between the engine mount an chassy ,it
was more for stabling the engine mount screws from loosening up ,I did not use it ,but I used
a more beefier philip head screw with flat & lock washer ,I also used a 4.6 engine mount that
I had cut in two pieces rather it be in one piece to fit the engine!..:cool:

Well ,I am not going to lie ,it did have a ton of bulk monster power that put the truck in a constant
wheely stand!...:hehe:
But not sure what the rating was ,it was defenitly scary think it was going to destroy the tranny ,
but if you can hang with the mechanics side of it then go ahead an try it out!...:thumbs-up:
That plate was just a simple flat plate that went between the engine mount an chassy ,it
was more for stabling the engine mount screws from loosening up ,I did not use it ,but I used
a more beefier philip head screw with flat & lock washer ,I also used a 4.6 engine mount that
I had cut in two pieces rather it be in one piece to fit the engine!..:cool:
Sounds good thanks for advice! I will look into both

wow...after break in 18 years ago and 15 gallons of fuel the idle and lsn never get touched and the hsn no more than 2 hours from summer to winter but will still run without any adjustments...fuel hog yes...easiest tuning motor in my 58 years of life, most torque I've ever had..not the fastest but will pull wheelies shifting into 2nd gear.. i run a buku clutch on it i bought 18 years ago..it to has 15 gallons of fuel on it and has no visable wear...rock solid as a engine and drive train as I've ever used

Back