Mgt 8.0

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluetickduke

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So I picked up my mgt 8.0 yesterday. Pretty decent shape. Steering servo is kinda outta whack but with some adjusting I may not have to replace it.

He got it to start for me but he had no idea how to tune and it was pouring fuel out the pipe

(been there on my savage ????)

Anyhow, I got it tuned in a bit, still runs weird, pretty sure she has an air leak but I can figure that out..

My question is.. Sometimes when using my drill to start it.. It acts like it has no compression and sounds completely different. Then it catches and will fire up. I'm thinking the roto start internals need to be replaced. Is there a plate that fits on that motor that I can still buy or is my motor going out?

???

Thanks guys!

So I picked up my mgt 8.0 yesterday. Pretty decent shape. Steering servo is kinda outta whack but with some adjusting I may not have to replace it.

He got it to start for me but he had no idea how to tune and it was pouring fuel out the pipe

(been there on my savage ????)

Anyhow, I got it tuned in a bit, still runs weird, pretty sure she has an air leak but I can figure that out..

My question is.. Sometimes when using my drill to start it.. It acts like it has no compression and sounds completely different. Then it catches and will fire up. I'm thinking the roto start internals need to be replaced. Is there a plate that fits on that motor that I can still buy or is my motor going out?

???

Thanks guys!

The O-way bearing may need to be taking out of the engine an cleaned!
But ,the starters on those engines were junk an tend to just fall apart!

I've heard mixed reviews like usaul. I have too many toys to spend big money on another motor so I plan on just using the stock motor and doing what I can to get her runnin decent

Is there any roto or pull start that is compatible with this engine? I've used Google but I'm really unsure what I'm looking for..

I've heard mixed reviews like usaul. I have too many toys to spend big money on another motor so I plan on just using the stock motor and doing what I can to get her runnin decent

In the history of that engine ,Thunder tiger designed it ,an originally was used as a helicopter engine!

Now ,I think there was 2 version of the carb design ,the first carb didnt fair well ,so they updated the carb. ,to
what ,I dont know ,mine had the mix meter screw ,an make sure that it does not leak ,an that it stays flush ,
make sure that you dont over flood that engine an do not use a high RPM drill to start it!

The engines are good power houses if you treat them right an know what your doing with it ,also I might add ,
pull out the tube that goes in the muffler out an cut an angle in the tube so it doesn't bottom out an close off!
That's just if it still has just the hole in the muffler for the fuel tube!

Hope that helps!....:thumbs-up:

poop... I used a super fast drill to start it.. I hope I didn't destroy it

poop... I used a super fast drill to start it.. I hope I didn't destroy it

I grenaded mine with a high speed drill .I had accidently mistaken the mix meter screw for the LSN an had it set too
far out ,it flooded the engine real bad an the engine went into a hydro-loc an shattered the rod ,it sent the fragments
up into the cylinder an destroyed it ,the drill that I was using was a Skill 1/2 corded drill!

That was not the problem in the first place ,it was all over a plug filter in the fuel tank ,so that is why I try my best
to tell & let people know to always check those spots before they mess with any carb settings!
Other folks tell them that their tune is bad!....:thumbs-down:

Oh man.. It's supposed to rain for the next week here so I won't be doing much tuning.. :(

My jato 3.3 and redcat volcano s30 will be here this week

Muhahaha I'm so ready for the jato

?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

Oh man.. It's supposed to rain for the next week here so I won't be doing much tuning.. :(

My jato 3.3 and redcat volcano s30 will be here this week

Muhahaha I'm so ready for the jato

?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

I don't mean to scare you on the 8.0 engine ,but ,just want you to take extra precaution on it an keep your
eyes & ears open when you run it an inspect it after each run ,you dont want it to get too lean or too rich ,
but it is good to run it a little on the rich side!

You should seal the starter backplate an make sure that it dosent leak ,also around the starter output shaft!

Have fun with it!...:cool:

I want a new backplate and internals. That was the intention of this post lol

Yes sealing is coming tomorrow

All the stuff I've read, has said the motor is a gas hog and you almost have to run it on the rich side cause it wants more ?

I had her pulling wheelies even while runnin poopy, so I'm excited to see what she can do when running correctly ?? she just wouldn't stay running. Think I had it too lean.

Ill get it lol

Drove my savage for about an hour after messing with the mgt 8.0 and the carb almost came completely off..

??‍♂️ It's all sealed now. Plus I replaced my lines that had pin holes in them. Runs alot better now ?