MERV Gearing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hockeyrooster

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I am running a 2s battery with the VXL motor and the kid at the LHS gave me a 31t pinion gear to run with the 50t spur gear. I added it to the car and it is a lot faster. I run the car mostly on the street and do some jumping onto our grass. I don’t drive in the grass that much. Up the street, down the street, over the jump, through the grass, repeat. I check the motor for heat and while it gets hot, I can touch it. I have a heat sink.

The rear diff started to click after using this set up about 15 times so I opened it up and expected the diff to be trashed. It isn’t. I bought a new diff housing (had a couple of worn out holes on the old one) and added one shim while I was in there. There was no shim previously.

Question for you fellow RCers is, do you have any concerns with this gearing? I’d love to hear your thoughts and opinions 👍

I don't own a mini e revo but keep your electronics under 160°F and you won't kill them up. If they go near that lower the tooth count on your pinion
That makes complete sense to me. How do RCers measure engine temps? I don’t see bung for a temp sensor (this is a very weak attempt at humour). Seriously though, one of those surface reading gun type things?

Back