Mechanics?? DTC??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitrobuzzard

Useless NOOB!!
Reaction score
Neither here...nor there...but everywhere
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Looking for some input on a DTC guys. It's a '99 Tahoe with 5.7L, 4wd,
automatic tranny.

Problem started early this morning while pulling a Honda on a tow dolly. CEL came on and would stay solid unless going up an incline, then it would flash. Once It got out of a "pull", it would go solid again. I ran the OBD2 scanner and it come up with a Generic code, P0300, random misfire. It has a slight miss at idle and feels like its only hitting on 4 when you accelerate. Once you get up to speed, it smooths out. But there again, it's not in a pull.

Now I know alot can cause a random misfire. So far I've changed the plugs and wires and the guy said that was enough for today and we would get back to it sometime this week. I also checked for vacuum leaks, none found. I plan on putting new rotor button and dist. cap on it sometime this week.

Question is, other than getting weak fire and the possibility of a bad injector, is there anything else that could pop this code. Also, is there a "normal" problem with this year and make that pops it.

Thanks for any input on this...

-NB

I would've started with a cap and rotor nb,...my blazer did the same thing, same code, one of the screw holes was stripped on the rotor plate and it would jump around a tiny bit here and there

Well guy couldn't remember last time it had a set of plugs and wires put on so that was my first thought...that and he does pull his bass boat alot so i figured, yea, prolly gonna need plugs...lol

Funny that you mention a stripped screw hole in dist. plate...this one had one as well, front side of plate. I didn't even think about that until you mentioned...thx buddy. Cap and rotor was next on the list.

I can't believe the freaking price of tune-up items now. $50 for 8 ACDelco plugs, same for a cap, $15 for a rotor and $55 for wires...its freaking ignorant. I used to do a complete tune-up for peeps for less than $50 in parts...and that was with the filters...lol

Ya man I know, the plugs I'm my impala are like 8.00 a piece. ..

To save you some money bro you can pull the dist and use a different screw with a locknut, as apposed to probably buying a new or used dist..good luck buddy

Nice, let me know if she smooths out

Be thankful you're not replacing the complete Electronic Ignition module. Add another C-note to the total if you do...

I also feel your pain. The old F-150 needs new plugs and wires.

You may want to add a new coil to that list.

Ditch the AC delco plugs & get some NGK.

I would've started with a cap and rotor nb,...my blazer did the same thing, same code, one of the screw holes was stripped on the rotor plate and it would jump around a tiny bit here and there

That took care of it brother...put them on today and bingo...runs like a top.

-NB

Nice, glad to hear that brother[emoji482] tty

Back