Me and my good luck (with pics!)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CptAwesome

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Last time I posted on here, I think it was because I had to wait for my shock rebuild kits (LHS ordered me parts for MSR4, and apparently there is a difference between those and the MSR4v2).

Took just over a week to get them in, and another 2 days to rebuild all of the shocks. I've been pretty busy with work so I finally got it take it out yesterday afternoon. While doing work on the shocks, I also did work on the engine and replaced the throttle servo because something was sticking (was also in a previous post). Turns out my EZ start is on its way out, but I did manage to get it started and idling pretty good. Then I started doing small laps up and down my driveway when a friend of mine who was over says "can I try?" BIG MISTAKE.

I showed her how to use it, and made her promise me that she wouldn't go over 1/4 throttle and keep it on the asphalt. Coming back around, it "somehow lost control and she couldn't stop it" (her words). Went straight for my real truck. I was hoping it would either bounce off a tire or pass right through, but nope. It didn't have the roll cage or body at the time, because I was only supposed to be tuning it (another big mistake). It was stuck under my truck 50 feet away, and when I finally got to it, it was not pretty.

As far as I can tell, the RC went under between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle. When going under, it passed almost completely under, but caught on the front axle, and that's what did most of the damage.

It may not look that bad now, but it was WAY worse last night. The front shock tower must have hit first, because the thing has a nearly 90 degree bend right down the middle (I straightened it out in a vice for the time being). That Cause the front shock to completely separate from it's piggyback. The one behind that didn't, but it does have a bent piston.

Then the motor head hit next, doing most of the real damage. Some of the fins are bent and the EZ start came off completely (it still doesn't work right, so I might not put it back on).. It hit with such force that it actually sheared all of the screws that held it on to the mount, and completely separated from the car. The only thing that kept it attached were the fuel lines and the yellow ground lead. When it separated, it snapped the linkage going to the clutch and stuck in WOT and, since it was loose, did some serious collateral. The teeth on the bell clutch ate through several plastic pieces, the throttle linkage, fuel lines, and anything nearby. Once I got to it, it was overrevving more than I have ever seen, and smoking a little too.

Lesson of the Day: Women are bad drivers, no matter what they are driving. All in all, I suppose I was lucky. It doesn't seem like this will cost me too much, just time. (Assuming the the engine is OK, which I think (and really hope) it is.

By the way, anything that you DON'T see on the frame of the car in the pics below was removed because there was something wrong with it. Most of it, luckily, was due to bent/snapped screws though.

2011-06-23093158.gif

2011-06-23093123.gif

2011-06-23093059.gif

2011-06-23093027.gif

2011-06-23092958.gif

I've had a similar situation. When I first got my T-Maxx running my kids and I took it to their school and played in the parking lot. First I tuned it and then let the kids drive it. They all did great. The only thing my 6yr old hit was himself! Since he wasn't hurt I can say it was one of the funniest things I've seen. Then my wife showed up. She parked her NEW volvo in the middle of the parking lot. Since my kids drove with out mishap I figured I'd give her a shot. I figured she drives every day and the parking lot is huge and wide open. What could go wrong? So she did a few high speed passes and started getting comfortable. Then it happened. Full speed right into the side of her new car! Her Volvo actually shook from the hit. When the truck hit it got forced down and under the car. It got stuck against her rear axle. I ran up and found the truck in a puddle. I hadn't put the body on yet which may have been a good thing. I'm pretty sure it would have been trash. The fuel tank got ripped off of the truck and all the gas poured out of the bottom. It snapped the front body pins and my HSN. All in all I got extremely lucky. Unfortunately her Volvo came out without a scratch.

I wish my fuel talk would have ripped off. Like I said, by the time I got to my truck, the engine was revving way too high and smoke was coming out of it. I really hope that it didn't do any permanent damage, but I guess only time will tell. Which apparently will be next Thursday, since my LHS doesn't have the pistons for my shocks in stock.

Good thing that you're Volvo wasn't damaged. I would have been pissed, especially if it was new. The Explorer it hit, which coincidentally is the lowest to the ground vehicle I have, is only a 2002, so I was worried more about the RC than my real car. The new Explorer stays in the garage, and if it would have hit ANY other car, it probably would have passed right under unscathed. Not much I can do about it now, I guess.

In other news, I am seriously considering getting an electric now. Not to replace my T-maxx, but something that's easier to tote around and easier to maintain. (plus, the track near my house only allows electrics)

Great carnage! That's the best we've seen in quite a while. :D
This would be the perfect time to replace all those Integy parts with good stuff.

don't let women drive anything period. I learned that my fiancee would mistake the brake and the throttle on my 2.5 r stampede. Smash into a parking curb at a good speed. Broke the steering servo, servo saver, front body mount and chassis backbone. The crazy thing is I actually let her run the cars again. She is a getting a lot better now but she mainly drives my ruckus and sometimes stampede. I only let her drive the jato for a second or too and she hasn't touched my 4tec.

Great carnage! That's the best we've seen in quite a while. :D
This would be the perfect time to replace all those Integy parts with good stuff.

Rest assured that whenever I need to buy parts from now on, they will not be integy. However, through some act of god, the only part that needs replacing that I don't have is one of the shafts from the front shocks. As much as I would like to get rid of the integy stuff, it's hardly worth buying all new shocks instead of a single, $4 part.

EDIT: I just realized that the bent shaft is completely seized, and I have no idea (yet) how to remove it. Band saw and a punch?

Actually, thats a lie. I do need to buy some screws, cause a lot of them snapped. I stopped by a local fastener shop a little while ago (the same one I got screws from the last time) and instead of giving me the parts I need, they informed me that they don't, and never did, carry that size. So I grabbed the RC car that was in my erm.. car and showed him the other ones they sold me last time. Apparently, the ones original to the car were M3.5, and they only carry M3. The two are so close to each other, that they will thread and appear to hold securely, but because it's not really the correct size, are very prone to stripping or falling out. Only hobby shops usually carry that size. Thinking he was being clever, he even said that might have been the reason the car crashed. His smile disappeared when I told him that they should pay to fix it though.

Last edited:
don't let women drive anything period.
+1 to that.
Not real cars, not rc cars, not cars in video games.
Not riding mowers, not golf carts, not wheel chairs.
Nothing.
Anyone notice how nothing in the kitchen requires steering?
Thank goodness.

Yea, I don't let them drive my real car, so I don't know what I was thinking.

+1 to that.
Not real cars, not rc cars, not cars in video games.
Not riding mowers, not golf carts, not wheel chairs.
Nothing.
Anyone notice how nothing in the kitchen requires steering?
Thank goodness.
LMAO!
The only thing they should EVER be allowed to drive is a vacuum cleaner. :p::hehe:

LMAO!
The only thing they should EVER be allowed to drive is a vacuum cleaner. :p::hehe:

At the risk of sounding sexist, you forgot baby carriage and shopping cart :deadhorse

LMAO!!! ^^^^

I'm lucky my wife wont even come close to touching my Tmaxx. But when i first got the maxx, actually the day that I was breaking in the motor, I let my then 3 year old son try to steer. Problem was that he tried to steer with the throttle trim!! The maxx took off like a rocket, went to the end of the street, hooked to the right and after holding the brakes which werent working very well at the time, missed plowing into a garage door by about an inch.

don't let women drive anything period.

Ill second this motion, I let my wife drive my SCT and she took it off a jump and damn near hit me in the face at full pin... Then she went off another jump at full pin and it crashed hard! Thank goodness this Losi is build tuff or I woulda been replacing something I'm sure of it. All in all good fun because I almost hit my wife in the face with it too haha damn wind:hehe:

Awesome carnage though and I agree with Ralph, best weve seen in a long time, since HPIGuys 5b carnage

At the risk of sounding sexist, you forgot baby carriage and shopping cart :deadhorse

It's not sexist if it's true! :hehe: :hehe:

Have you ever seen the way they shove those carts around in the store, the scariest bit is you know 1/2 of them drove them selves to the the store.:)

It's not sexist if it's true! :hehe: :hehe:

Have you ever seen the way they shove those carts around in the store, the scariest bit is you know 1/2 of them drove them selves to the the store.:)

Thats not the scariest bit. What's really scary is that they probably had kids in the car.

Anyways, I ordered the part I need to fix my shock. If all goes well (and my engine isn't fried) I should be back up and running by friday morning.

I hate how I'm doing more waiting than driving this thing.

That's how it goes with a T-MAXX. That's also the reason I got rid of mine and got a Savage. More driving and a lot less wrenching not only is it tougher It's faster too!

That's how it goes with a T-MAXX. That's also the reason I got rid of mine and got a Savage. More driving and a lot less wrenching not only is it tougher It's faster too!

until you need to turn a corner that is.

Didnt buy it to go around corners. I bought it because I wanted a truck that would stand up to something more than the cracks in the sidewalk. Without having to spend all of my money on upgrades and parts instead of fuel.

i dunno man, i love my maxx. its not like the savvy is without problems. we like tricking out our trucks. for me i would rather have $1500 in a tricked out maxx than have 3 other MTs. why? 'cause. and to be honest, a savage would have broken up just as bad in the op's wreck.

if you let your wife or girlfriend drive you car or truck and they break it then it gives you an excuse to get out of the house and spend money at the hobby shop

then you fix it again and they break it again then you can go back to the hobby shop

then they do not complain about you wanting to go there
or show them the reciepts for what you spend on them and then they may not want to drive them anymore

Back