McLaren GTR Longtail

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WideOpen

RCTalk Addict
Supporter
Reaction score
Well one of the guys at the racetrack gave us a brand-new McLaren GTR Longtail. My grandson wants to slap a coat of paint on it and run it; I want to try to paint it nice and take our time.

Attachments

• McLaren GTR Longtail.jpg
    McLaren GTR Longtail.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 78
I dont blame you for wanting taking your time. Rare exotic car, and those bodies arent laying on a store shelf somewhere!

That car brings out the old need for speed memories on ps1.

I've never done one before, any tip or tricks, I'm open for guidance

Do your body holes first, and get a good body reamer. Line the body up where you want it, mark the holes on the outside, then I always just poke a small starter hole, then paint. I then finish the holes after.

Ok, did a little sniffing today. Since this is my first painting job and my grandson wants it done quickly, here is what I think will be a good compromise - basically one color with a wide stripe bordered by a narrow stripe on each side - we can add external stickers later. Thoughts?

Attachments

• McLaren GTR Longtail idea.jpg.png
    McLaren GTR Longtail idea.jpg.png
    418.7 KB · Views: 38
My only thoughts is I hope it has a scoop, spoiler, and wings. 😁

Uber cool, man. I personally lean toward the classic kind of schemes anyway without a lot of crazy details. I think it’ll be awesome.
First couple of coats should be a super fine mist, let dry, repeat. Don’t try to build too much of a base on the first few coats. For metallics it’s crucial or you will see “pools” of metallic in random places when you’re done. Good luck, and can’t wait to see your pics. That McLaren is simply freaking gorgeous.
Also, I’ve had the best luck by far with Tamiya masking tape and pinstripe tape. I ordered some cheapo stuff on Amazon and it was terrible. I got a lot of widths from 2mm up to 18mm in one package and it all left a bad adhesive residue when peeled off. I fortunately discovered this when making changes prior to first coat. I had to peel off all my work and wash the inside of the body again to get all that crap off. I’ll stick with Tamiya tape from this point forward.

Last edited:
Great words of advice. I picked up some Tamiya tape and paint at the local model car store. He has decided to go plain white and with some black highlights. I was hoping to do the stripe, but he never really bought off on it. We have not started it yet; my wife homeschools him and my daughter has him picked up by the time I get home - he wants "us" to work on it together. This whole RC deal is a "me and grandpa deal".

he wants "us" to work on it together. This whole RC deal is a "me and grandpa deal".
That’s great man. My nephew is the one who got me into all this. Right now it’s a “me and him” thing too. I don’t have any grandkids yet. I guess my daughters (2 of them) ain’t rushing it. I’ll be some 80-something year old fart drooling on his shirt by the time I get any grandkids old enough to handle a 6s Arrma. Gosh, by then who knows what the hobby will offer.
Enjoy your grandkid. You should schedule some “night courses” for him that don’t start until you get home. In this hobby you could cover physics, electronics, aerodynamics, mechanic-ing (lots of that) etc. And don’t forget the mandatory weekend courses!

That’s great man. My nephew is the one who got me into all this. Right now it’s a “me and him” thing too. I don’t have any grandkids yet. I guess my daughters (2 of them) ain’t rushing it. I’ll be some 80-something year old fart drooling on his shirt by the time I get any grandkids old enough to handle a 6s Arrma. Gosh, by then who knows what the hobby will offer.
Enjoy your grandkid. You should schedule some “night courses” for him that don’t start until you get home. In this hobby you could cover physics, electronics, aerodynamics, mechanic-ing (lots of that) etc. And don’t forget the mandatory weekend courses!
dude, I'm tell'n you now, the whole kid thing is way overrated, once you have a grandkid life changes bigtime. You need to tell them girls to get busy!

wow, you just never see that style when hot bodies was just bodies, and accessories.