McCoy glow plugs?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwdave

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Are the McCoy glow any better then Traxxas plugs? Was getting reeady to order some extras so I can break i my 3.3's. Believe in a different thread I saw were someone recommended a MC-59 for breaking and then a MC-8 after that. Was going to break in with what came with it and wanted to know if the MCCoy's are worth changing to after that.

My opinion is yes they are better. Its all i run in my picco.

I started with MC-59's in my MGT. They were a solid choice. I switched to OS #8's only because i upgraded my Maxx to an OS and wanted the same plugs for both engines.

i know this sounds crazy but i was using mc coy plugs in my picco .26,tried bothe mc 59 and mc 8 but they kept poping within a tank.i only had a trx 3232x plug left and well blow me down the plug is still good
do understand that my climate is complete different in oz

I didn't have any luck with the Mc coys either. Went with O.S 8s and was good after that.

haha the last time i took my revo out i just threw in whatever was in my plug caddy,which happened to be a 3232x,i might try an os 8 next time
one thing was for sure it dont like odonell plugs dont know why either

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

after re-reading the op's question,in any trx engine i have had or tuned i run either an os lc3 or lc4 they tend to last longer and are a bit cheaper than the trx plugs

The Traxxas 3232 & heavy duty 3232x are both hot, same with the McCoy #59, they are also long standard plugs. The O.S LC3 hot & LC4 medium plugs are a good replacement & are both long reach plugs (long standard) made to replace the Traxxas plugs & for use in the O.S 21tm engine which was designed as a replacement engine for the 2.5 & 3.3 engines.
Most engines use a standard short plug but the 2.5, 3.3 & O.S 21tm use the long versions.
The O.S #8 is a medium plug & is a short plug, O.S #7 is medium/hot & #6 is hot, both short as well.
A hot plug is better for running an engine in & also makes tuning slightly easier. A hotter plug gives a wider tuning window but will also produce slightly less power, not much though on less powerful engines, a cooler plug like the O.S LC4 & #8 medium plugs will have a slightly smaller tuning window but will make slightly more power.
If running 30% nitro then a medium plug may be better to use as in some applications a hotter plug can cause pre ignition of the fuel. I ran the 3232x, #59, LC3 & LC4 in my Revo 3.3 engine & the O.S 21tm engine on 20% nitro without any problems, these engines are designed to use the long standard plugs.