Maxx that's built for bashing?????

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30%NitroBoy

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Sup ladies and gents......nice RC Forum yooz guys have here,

I purchased my first 4x4 Nitro Truck (a T-maxx obviously) three weeks ago and I was wondering what else I should "upgrade" for now to keep driving my truck like I stole it (I want to make it bullet proof as possible without sacrificing performance):hehe: I do 90% of my driving off road and while I don't abuse it per-say I definitely romp the hell out of it. I like to take the biggest jumps possible and I love to hill climb. I have a huge backyard and I also wanted to setup some kind of "rock crawling" course in the near future (laugh if you must but it's fun as hell).

The first week alone I cracked a front left bulkhead and I've already broken two of the plastic (whimppy ass) ends that go on the turnbuckles that connect to the wheels (from landing on one rear tire). I also broke a rear lower a-arm and bent the hell out of the chincy factorty piin that was holding it. I also broke a rear axle end!

Anway, I've already replaced the factory front and rear bulkhead braces with the nice RPM braces, I ordered all of the A-Arms from RPM and I ordered the full three piece skid plate set from RPM. I also bought the entire Traxxas Titanium pin set to replace the lousy factory ones (I'm not crazy about the idea of c-clips and I hope they hold well as you can't just order one freaking pin). I also ordered the front and rear PRM Bumpers.

My questions are

1. Should I go ahead and get the Turnknuckles with bearings from RPM??

2. Are Titanium TurnBuckles worth the money to build the ultimate romping machine and if so who makes good ones??

3. Does any company make titanium or alluminum pieces to replace the crappy plastic turnbuckle ends (I'm getting sick of breaking those)?? If not I'm assuming it's because they're made to break off!

4. My buddy seems to Crack allot of gas tanks on his T-maxx. Who makes a good crash plate for the exposed side of the gas tank???

Thanks in Advance guys as I really appreciate the help.

I forgot to mention, I've also bent the hell out of three shock rods which I replaced with entire shocks from a buddies "parts car". Who makes good titanium shocks pins/rods???

Last edited:
Well, the harder you drive something, the more it's going to break. Plain and simple.

But if you're going to drive hard and want a durable machine, you gotta pay the big bucks.

If you really want a "mack daddy" machine and you got the cash go to www.monstermaxx.com

get everything he's got and go grab some Great Assembly bulks and skids.

Go have fun if you got enough money left over for glow plugs and fuel.

Sup SVT,

Yeah I realize that "the harder you drive something, the more it's going to break" (obviously...lol) but I'm still not impressed with the quality or lack their of with allot of the factory parts on my T-maxx. My local Hobby shop and RC Guru guy keeps telling me that "everything on my T-maxx is made to break" and I'm starting to really beleive that ...lol. I'm sure Traxxas is making plenty of money on "replacement parts"......lol. I love my T-maxx but had I know about the Savage I would have bought that over the T-maxx in a heart beat. My buddy has the savage and we drive the same and he hardly ever breaks anything....not to mention his .21 stomps on me. Why would anyone pay $285+ for a full T-maxx .21 conversion when you can get the entire Savage truck for $400 (that truck is definitely next) I do prefer the sound of the TRX 2.5 as opposed to .21's and .25's but it just can't come close to a real big bore!!!!

Thanks again and c-ya around on the forum......

BTW Thanks for the link bro, money isn't an issue and those parts look great but that's allot of $$$$$$$:ahem:

Peace

i have payed over $300 on my xtm conversion kit and i have the xtm 24.7 engine. it will stomp on any engine around my area. my friend has the 2.5 traxxas engine and there just aint no comparison. as for the savage i would really like to get one for a more bashing type of truck, since i am making my t-maxx more of a racing truck. o yea u said taht u were breaking gas tanks, i would go and get the aluminum gas tanks. i think they are about $50 but they are better than getting new ones everyday.

bryan

Or you could spend about 500 bucks on a Savage SS and see whether or not its more durable ;)

I don't know if I'm lucky or your driving your maxx like a lunatic LOL.

I am almost through my second season with my T-Maxx V1.0. I wouldn't say I am as rough on my maxx as say Imbroken. But I do drive it pretty fast and Hard ( No sexual innuendo intended) :)

The only damage I have all stock parts except for a ported trx .15 engine and Big Bore shocks.

Then only damage so far as been a set of front Bulkhead and one rear turnbuckle. I blew out 2 rear shocks ( hence the Big Bores).

Oh yea I also snapped my front skid plate. I have never broken an A Arm yet. Depending on what you want to spend, sometimes just replacing the stock parts with stock parts or slightly upgrades stuff (RPM) is better off. Here is a pic of my maxx at its worse LOL
585busted-med.jpg

And it still only cost me a few bucks and some time to get back on the road.

Probably one of the best people to talk to about bullet proofing a maxx would be Imbroken. I have seen his maxx in many incarnations. I would have to say now it is almost indestructible and he has no fear when bashing his Maxx.

sly

Sup guys,

Supermaxx - Sweet engine conversion, I bet that Maxx hauls ASS dude:) One thought though, I've heard of LOTS of people having problems with the stock drivetrain, Tranny etc. not being able to handle the power of a .21 (or larger in your case). Are you still running all the stock drivetrain parts????

Christian - I've been giving it some serious thought bro and I'm definitely gonna get the Savage SS (that's gonna be a mean machine). I hope that kit address most of the problems with the fuel setup etc! I've already got a sweet Futaba Sport controler and servos waiting for it. Is it even avaliable yet???

msly- I'm not driving my maxx like a "lunatic" (YET...lol) but I'm definitely driving how I think it was made to be driven on and off road.........hard. The A-arm that I broke could definitley be attributed to the weak ass "chrome steal" pins (on hard jump landings the pins will bend inside of the plastic and another good hit and they can apparently snap out of the a-arm) which have all been replaced now with the Traxxas titanium ones with the E-clips. My local hobby shop always sells for retail and Traxxas lists the pins for $24.95, I payed $18.00 so I guess I got a good deal. Allot of the other pins I replaced were bent to and would have eventually broken more a-arms in all reality (the Titanium pins are a necessary hop up IMHO......especially if you like to jump like me).

My buddy has an older maxx with a brand new .15 PRO and while it definitley doesn't hang with the 2.5, it's still a blast to drive. It definitley doesn't have the low end torque or the top end charge of the 2.5 but the midrange power is very good imho and more then enough for some serious backyard bashing.

BTW msly - I would definitley get the full under skidplate set and bulkhead braces from RPM if I where you.

for everyones 411 - I'm a VERY experienced driver but the broken bulkhead was from crashing into a curb in a tight parking lot at full speed (probably 30 MPH at this alltitude).

Peace

yes i love the conversion. but the worst thing is like u said, the differentials and the tranny is being torn apart by the power of the 24.7! it is rated at over 2.6 horsys. so that doesn't do too good on my drivetrain. but i am in the works of building my supermaxx and i will get all of the good stuff. i am working on getting the UE 7.5 diffs for it.

bryan

Originally posted by SuperMaxx97
yes i love the conversion. but the worst thing is like u said, the differentials and the tranny is being torn apart by the power of the 24.7! it is rated at over 2.6 horsys. so that doesn't do too good on my drivetrain. but i am in the works of building my supermaxx and i will get all of the good stuff. i am working on getting the UE 7.5 diffs for it.

bryan

Sounds sweet......I'll be looking forward to hearing how it goes with the new drivetrain parts. What about the tranny and stock clutch setup though??

Peace

that i am also working on. the tranny will be after the diffs and then i will work with the clutch.

bryan

I've coveted mine to RPM almost everything and the ti pins do help alot. Al bulks, al chassis braces help, not to mention the the center skid plate helps stop any latteral flex on the big hits. Use a good stainless steel scew kit and add lots of blue lock-tite on every nut, screw and bolt. I'm using a set of Big Bore shocks and there's been no trouble as of yet. I don't rep for RPM but I'm a firm believer in using nylon over metal on alot of the parts including the knuckles. Last weekend I bashed the hell out of my maxx and nothing bent or broke, just a few more scuffs and scratches. I have almost enough stock parts to build another one one including 2.5 replaced by the Sirio 3.0. Don't forget to consider mip cvds on the front, rear and centers (no more broken sliders). You may want to cnonsider doing the forward only conversion after adding your new parts. It drops a bagful of weight ( $11.00 and it really is a bagful of parts). Sorry to ramble on.....

Last edited:
Back