Mammoth ST

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PiErow

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok well i think this is what I'm going to pick up. Its nicely priced and XTM stuff is awsome, comes w/ poopy electronics but i can fix that. Anyone here run one?

well i havent ran one but i have seen a few run at my local track. it seems like an awsome truck.. handles very nice and has sweet power. IMO it is one of the best on the market at the moment.. it is also pirced very nicely.. id say go for it.

Shim the diffs first thing! Don't even run it one time.
I figured I would wait till after the break-in to do a tear-down and locktite everything on mine. Front diff was ok. Shim was in the wrong place, though. Back diff, the teeth were chipped. Got the gears at no cost, but it was down for a week.

Haven't had any problems since. :cheers:

Can't believe anyone else has posted. Nobody on this forum have one, seen one run???

Pierow, I like mine. But I just bash. And haven't had much time to run it lately. Only thing I have heard about so far are the diffs. Haven't heard much about problems after they are shimmed. Most guys are taking out the 2-speed and putting a center diff in it. ($50?) I could see why. (Mine hasn't been wound out yet.) Racing it would be a waste.

Check out this forum. Been there? http://globalservices.globalhobby.c...php?f=10&sid=05f61acc75fb672fbe0fa829f75b5792 These guys are pretty hardcore about theirs. Some of them are racing and doing fairly well.
I'd like to see some more opinions about it on this site. Good Luck. :cheers:

Well, I plan to go to the track sunday, so maybe I'll see one or perhaps get to drive one... ;)

I was going to get one until I drove one. Not very good. Got the LST and man what a difference.

seajj2, what handling charateristics did'nt you like?

did not like how it turned. It pushed too hard. I know all monster trucks will push, there is just so much mass there. Had alot of bounce when it was jumped. I know you can adjust that but for a rtr I expect it to handle a bit better.

I got my niece the lst and the only thing I did was put 40 series bowties. A guy at my local track did the same with his mammoth st and the losi just handled alot better.

Don't get me wrong though the mammoth st is the best priced out there. I am sure if you tweak the mammoth it can get to handle, but I just do not have that much time to devote to it.

I love the hell out of my mammoth. Don't race though. They are a lot bigger than the other st's. I can see a person having to "horse" them around the track. I can also see putting a few bucks in them and making a hell of a racer. All the RTR's have problems of some sort.

Only thing I see with my mammoth so far are the diffs. From what i have read it isn't a problem after they are shimmed? Was a problem with the original mammoth. The diffs in the st are upgraded from their xlb buggy.
One other thing... seems like it would be geared too high for anything but a large track. Both are nothing. RTR or kit, you will spend money on upgrades.

Anyone else running one? Had pretty good luck, or giving up?

seajj2 said:
did not like how it turned. It pushed too hard. I know all monster trucks will push, there is just so much mass there. Had alot of bounce when it was jumped. I know you can adjust that but for a rtr I expect it to handle a bit better.

I got my niece the lst and the only thing I did was put 40 series bowties. A guy at my local track did the same with his mammoth st and the losi just handled alot better.

Don't get me wrong though the mammoth st is the best priced out there. I am sure if you tweak the mammoth it can get to handle, but I just do not have that much time to devote to it.
...........................Yeah I agree with you on the pushing issue my truck does push in the turns I am experimenting with diff weight diff oil, if this does not take care of it I am going to put a center diff in.

Yeah a center diff would be your best bet.

I've a question for the St owners, have they changed the diffs or they are using the same system than mammoth MT? I think this was the weakest part of the car.

The diffs are supposed to be "updated" XLB diffs according to a post from one of the higher ups in XTM.

If ya look at the parts list, I think the case is the only thing that fits only the XLB. The gears fit the mammoth, st, xlb, and the x-term. A lot of the parts fit all 4 cars. Some only fit the ST.
I never had any problems with the x-term diffs. I have heard chassis flex and center diff is the reason. Doesn't make much sense though. :shrug:

Back