makin a nitro brand change???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrferly2004

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have been runnin top fuel since I bought my tmaxx a couple years ago. My last trip to my lhs the guy told me I should switch to byrons gen2 so I bought some. I'm plannin on makin the switch next time out. Does anyone know if I need to do anything special to make the switch? Do I need to return to factory settings and retune accordingly, or should I just fuel up and see how it runs? I didn't switch the nitro %, just the.brand. Any suggestions is much appreciated. Thanks

You'll probably need to adjust the tune a bit, no biggy. No reason to go back to stock settings, just run it where they are and adjust to the new fuel.

I would suggest richening the hsn about 1/4-1/3 a turn and starting from there......providing you had a good tune in the first place. Byron's has less oil in it, which is good, but you lose that so called "tuning safety cushion" with the extra oil content.
You'll never want to use top junk again though, because you're engine is going to run awesome with Byron's in it.

Agreed! Your gonna notice a heck of a difference in performance from top fuel to byrons gen 2. Even more if you jump to the 30%. Thats what i run in both my picco and my f4.6 is byrons. 20% in the picco and byrons race blend 30% in he 4.6 on my buggy.

Agreed! Your gonna notice a heck of a difference in performance from top fuel to byrons gen 2. Even more if you jump to the 30%. Thats what i run in both my picco and my f4.6 is byrons. 20% in the picco and byrons race blend 30% in he 4.6 on my buggy.

i switched from to Top Fuel to Torrco, and than to VP race fuels and both were a noticeable improvement over the Top Fuel! Byron's will wake up your motors !

Thanks for the insight guys...I'm headed out in 15 mins to run it with the byrons. I'll post how everything goes...

Don't forget to richen the needle. It may not even be necessary but it can't hurt either.

I have a general question, I hear a lot about how good Sidewinder Fuel by Morgan Fuels is, and I'm wondering why Top Fuel isn't that good since its made by Morgan Fuels? After reading this, I'm actually contemplating switching from O'Donnell's T-Blend 33% to Byron's

I went thru one gallon of sidewinder race blend 30% and it ran great. I bought it because the hs was out of byrons at the time. I have also ran one gallon of odonnells race blend 20% and other than the smell it ran very well also. Actually the only fuel I've had issues with so far is traxxas top fuel. I do t know why but no matter what i did i couldn't jeep a good tune with it and the performance just wasn't there.

---------- Post added at 9:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:31 AM ----------

Keep not jeep! Haha

guess ill be switching over from top fuel as well now that i no longer deal with my local shop especially for the price they want

i think it has to do with oil content in top fuel. might give better protection to the motor, at the sacrifice of a little horsepower. i found it hard to keep a good tune with top fuel as well, the performance just wasn't there. you get used to how your rigs runs and sounds, and then you try another fuel and see/hear a performance increase, and it hits you.."i was not maximizing my power output"! and the switch to another fuel is made !

I have been using sidewinder for about a year now. I have no problems with that fuel at all, i will not use trx fuel if you gave it to me...

I have run many different fuels in my R/Cs and it is mostly a tuning when you switch. Each different manufacture uses a slightly different mix of oils. Some have more sythentic then castrol. So making sure you still get a good trail of smoke when you switch is important. Some fuels have less oil in them so you need to run a little richer. Nitro content will improve the performance of the engine but some engines do not suggest running over 20% nitro unless you shim the head with a thicker gasket to reduce compression.

I personally have been running 30% nitro for years and have used Traxxas Top Fuel 33% and Trinity Monster 30%. I have run others O'Donnel which I cannot see run thru my fuel lines because of the color, Sidewinder took a richer mixture because of less oil content. Byrons was awesome but not sold near me anymore. My choices at my LHS now are Top Fuel and Losi's NitroTane. I might give NitroTane a chance next year.

Last edited:
Less oil does not mean less protection, it means a safety cushion for inexperienced tuners who almost always seem to run there engines lean. Anything over 12% oil is excessive to say the least.

Back