Mach 427 Tuning Nightmare, PLEASE HELP!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10 Gauge

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just picked this truck up, it's an LST2 with a Mach 427 on it. I am having a horrible time trying to get it to tune and run WOT. I can get it to start up and idle no problem and sometimes I can baby the throttle back and forth to get it to go wide open. I've reset all of the needles to factory settings and tried tuning it from scratch a few times now and same result every time. When I hit the throttle she will bog really bad and die, usually blowing a considerable amount of smoke when it dies, I also noticed that there's some nitro coming out of the exhaust which would indicate that it's obviously running rich. I've leaned both the HSN and LSN up quite a bit but even with it seemingly running lean I get the same problem when I go to hit WOT.

Should this engine be that hard to tune? I keep hearing these things are super easy to tune up. But I just can't get mine to transition from idle to WOT without it bogging and dieing. I've tried richer, I've tried leaner, and leaner does seem a bit better but I'm afraid to run it to lean. I think I have the HSN about 3 turns out from closed and the LSN about 1-1.5 turns out from closed. Is it safe to keep advancing these leaner and leaner?

Thanks in advance for any help, I really appreciate it!!!

P.S. I am using a brand new OS Medium glow plug and Blue Thunder Sport 30% fuel.

Edit 1: Don't know if this vid would help at all.... [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xggbnpemNYw"]YouTube - Mach 427 Tuning Problems[/ame]

Update: So originally I hadn't thought that there were air bubbles in the fuel line, looked at it, didn't seem to see any. Well I observed it far more closely today, and sure enough, there's a pretty big pocket of bubbles that come when I'm on the throttle. The fuel line doesn't leak anywhere, nor does the tank, it never drips anything. I disconnected fuel line from carb, disconnected exhaust line and blew in to it and fuel came right out the fuel line no problem with little blowing effort. I put my finger over the fuel line and blew through the exhaust line again and I couldn't blow, nor did I observe any leaks from the fuel line or tank. One thing that I did notice is that the fuel line fits VERY loosely over the carb nipple. Is that a common problem, should it fit tight? Would a zip-tie help? Could there be a bad o-ring or seal in the HSN?

Another question. Did the TL427 ever come with the orange cylinder head? And whats the difference between the Mach 427 and the TL427? The Mach 427 manual says that factory HSN and LSN are both 2.5 turns out. Whereas the Mach 427 manual says HSN 4 turns out and LSN 2 turns out. Mine has the orange head....

Update 2: Put a ziptie around the carb inlet nipple and that definitely helped, there's now less air in the line, but there are still some bubbles and what not. Possible problem with the HSN?

TIA for reading all of this and responding, really wanna get my truck running!

Well looks like after adding a ziptie around the HSN fuel line nipple she's up and running. I spent 3 days toiling over a freakin loose fitting fuel line, ARGH! LOL.

Well, thanks in advance everyone!

one thing i saw in your video that you should NOT do ... DONT run it without the air filter ...unless you want your engine to have a short life ....it doesn't take much to ruin an engine

one thing i saw in your video that you should NOT do ... DONT run it without the air filter ...unless you want your engine to have a short life ....it doesn't take much to ruin an engine

Thanks for the tip. I usually don't but frantically trying to get it tuned it was getting in the way so I temporarily took it off. It's back on now though!! :)

Thanks for the tip. I usually don't but frantically trying to get it tuned it was getting in the way so I temporarily took it off. It's back on now though!! :)

good thing ....your better off tuning it with the filter on ...it might tune different without it on ;)

it almost seems like the engine is too rich and its cutting out.. judging by the video.. but that doesn't make any sense as to what you said about it being lean.... so i suppose i can't help lol

i would try highspeed at 3 1/2 ,

Last edited:
Running great after the zip tie mod. Lol. Got a play date to go bashing on Sunday with my friend who's running a tmaxx. Should be fun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back