Mac 21

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

Fly-By-Nitro

Anyone have any feedback or personal experience with Andy Brown's Mac21 Buggy Engine??

I race for Andy what would you like to know?

Well when i was running 1/8 sacle hydro years ago I gave a Mac 67 a shot. It was a fairly new item to the general public and there was rumor he was using the public for R&D. I believe it with the trouble I had right out of the box. Many others did too. He did finally become consistant with his mills and has EARNED an excellent reputation in the industry. I just want make sure he has worked out all the bugs before I invest in an Andy Brown Special.... A couple questions though if you don't mind.

How long have you been "racing" for Andy?

Would you consider the Mac21 to be a "Torque Monster" or is it tuned more for RPM?

What type of fuel consumption are you getting?

How does it do out of the hole and down the straights against the compitition?

Is it holding a tune well and what temps does it like?

Any input would help, I would really like some feed back from a consumer rather than a sponsored racer. I'm sure you will have nothing bad to say.

Steve

1-I recieved my first engine in March 03
2-It has good power all the way through the RPM band, It mostly depends on what pipe you choose. I run a Picco 069 and I have had great results on our small indoor (95' straight) and on large outdoor (Silver State)
3-average around 8m
4-I personally got the holeshot on two of O'Donnell's top drivers in a recent race 2 out of 3 qualifiers.
5-tune is no prob. Right now its a bit cold and it runs about 200'

The first gen carbs didn't work all that well but since the introduction to the new cmb type "R" 04. These things are rocket ships.

Give www.atomicmotorsports.com a call he sells a ton in FL. And he might have some good insight for you as well.

Look what the brown truck brought me today: :dance:

MAC2.jpg

And here it is ready to go:

MAC1.jpg

Hopefully I will have time to fire it up this weekend.
But I have a couple of questions if you don't mind greatmodels. Do you know what the initial carb settings are? And second, the instructions mention pulling the glowplug coils out so that two turns protrude into the combustion chamber. Hmmm... That's a new one on me. Do you really do that? Thank you. :)

Tex

Looks nice!

As far as carb settings I just started it with box stock and then tuned from there.

Yes! do the glow plug thing, try pulling one coil out first just so the second coil is level with the bottom of the plug.

And always run 30%

whoa someone wanna explain the coil thing ?

It helps with idling and throttle response. Old Skool trick