***LST2 at the park***

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monster Flip

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
It was a fun day of bashin but realized after a tank that air filter was missing heheh...hope no major damage done.

---------- Post added at 4:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 4:02 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 4:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 4:05 AM ----------

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the videos! They will hold me over until the weather gets warmer so I can break in my XXL.

You're welcome! Thanks for watching heheh

Didn't you notice it being a lot leaner without that filter?

Nice videos, i love my LST's..

Losi makes the best MT IMO...its a shame they dont have the after market support anymore. o_O

Agree with Losi making the BEST MT's..

Nice one! I thought maybe nscrracefan was back with the *** in the title.

Why would a missing filter cause it to go lean?

Without an air filter, the tune will be noticeably leaner.. The filter puts more drag on air intake than one might think.. Take it off, suddenly it's straight air, no drag or resistance..

You can experiment with this buy using different filters.. Some with longer throats will change it, shorter throats will change it, no throat? will definitely change it, especially without any foam (the resistance)..

I've never found that to be true. The carb opening is very tiny compared to the filter, and when properly oiled they should provide little or no restriction at all.

Okie dokie :) Try changing a Venturi and see if that makes a difference..

A lot of engines come with carb inserts, and they do make a difference. Why else would they come with the engine?

Okie dokie :) Try changing a Venturi and see if that makes a difference..

Ok....you went from an air filter to a Venturi.......which are you going with? I have Run nitros since the mid 90's and never had a tune change from losing an air filter, Yes if you change a Venturi it is more likely to change a tune, but as stated above if the air filter in on correctly and properly oiled, there shouuld be no change in tune.

You guys are right, I'm wrong.. I really don't want to argue about it.. I know what i know, you know what you know, let's leave it at that..

Ok....you went from an air filter to a Venturi.......which are you going with? I have Run nitros since the mid 90's and never had a tune change from losing an air filter, Yes if you change a Venturi it is more likely to change a tune, but as stated above if the air filter in on correctly and properly oiled, there shouuld be no change in tune.

I thought air filters had a factor on how the motor ran... Just like in real cars, don't they sometimes put cold air intakes to make motors run leaner? I don't know, coming from the guy who ran his truck without an air filter And not know it lol

:DAll I know for sure is it was hella fun running that truck with the air filter or not... I just hope no damage was done to the engine ...

Ok NHB RC, no hard feelings here, we all get along on this forum, and that's what makes this place great.

Let me just clear this up for everyone. Any air filter, air tube, and/or venturi is going to create some resistance, I will agree to that. The problem is, an air filter or air tube creates an insignificant amount of drag. If your engine 'goes lean' with no filter, it was already lean, or you had too much dirt, water, or oil in the filter and it wasn't breathing properly in the first place. Running lean with no filter is the least of your worries in the event that a filter pops off. Nitro engines change their tune with every degree they heat up or cool down, you'd never be able to tell if the filter was on or off.

Monster flip, your engine most certainly is damaged from this, but the only thing you can do now is secure the filter better and hope it runs good from here on out.

I dont claim to be an expert so I'm not trying to say anyone is right and anyone is wrong but I've lost my air filter many times in the past and I've never "noticed" a difference in how the engine was running. Thats just my observation.

I thought air filters had a factor on how the motor ran... Just like in real cars, don't they sometimes put cold air intakes to make motors run leaner?

Air filters do, to a point. But not enough to see a major difference.

A cold air intake on a 1:1 car is to pull in colder outside air & keep the incoming air charge cold(Vs. pulling it from warmer engine bay), the colder the incoming air the more of it you can pack into the engines cylinders.

So an engine can change it's tune from a single degree but the air filter wont affect it? 0.o

It will affect it but if you don't notice the difference then it don't matter either way, I've seen different filters affect idles and everything else. I put on a HPI long neck filter with a deep bend, it richened my Novarossi up, noticeably, put on the stock Losi filter, it went back to normal, it does affect it but being able to detect it is another thing..

No worries 2Revo1Maxx, i am just expressing what I've noticed since messing with these little trucks, i have no problems with people having their opinion :) Being an owner of 3 forums myself, i know a good forum is a place where all are welcome and so is their opinion, right or wrong! I like it here, plan to stick around :)

Back