LST hexs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitro4910

Nitro Junkie!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Mine has 14mm hexs on it.

Lst/aftershock were 14. Lst2 was

---------- Post added at 3:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:26 PM ----------

20 mm. Got cut off last post

Lst/aftershock were 14. Lst2 was

---------- Post added at 3:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:26 PM ----------

20 mm. Got cut off last post

Yep, mine is a LST.

Yah I'm getting away from the 14mm hexs, the supposed to be 8mm bore 17mm hexes I got(HPI) are actually larger then the LST2/XXL 8mm stub axles.
So I'm looking for some that are tighter fitting, at worst I'll get some more Traxxas hexs and just bore them out to 8mm.

I've had 17mm hexs on my LST2 before and they were fine. IDK what brand they were though. I bought the kit used and they were on it when I bought it.

I had bought the HPI thinking an 8mm hex is an 8mm hex but they fit much too loose on the LST2/XXL stub axles to use.
I have bought the Losi 17mm hex's for the XXL and they fit better, but are still a little loose, but nowhere as bad as the HPI's did.

I think that once I get it all assembled and shimmed it will work out.

If not I can always get some more Traxxas hex's and drill them out to 8mm for a tight fit.

I've had 17mm hexs on my LST2 before and they were fine. IDK what brand they were though. I bought the kit used and they were on it when I bought it.
I have Traxxas hubs on nearly all of my nitro's. mainly because i really like a hub with the larger nut rather than a small nylock with an extra large flange like on the savage.

I did order the Losi hexs, they do fit tighter then the HPI hexs, but still looser then I want.
I may try to tighten them a bit or I may just buy some more Traxxas hexs and ream them out to 8mm.
I punched out my other(Snookmans idea) Traxxas hexs to 6mm and made some inserts to thread over the the end of the stub axle.
I don't foresee any wallerin out of them modded this way.

I figure I can ream them out to 8mm easily, so that's most likely what I'll end up doing once I put the LST2 axles into the maxx.

17mmHexMod01_zps877e6f4a.jpg

17mmHexMod03_zps05bf0040.jpg

Just out of curiosity why you using the XXL axles on your supermaxx? Is it supposed to be more sturdy or something?

The XXL axles are going into my BB Supermaxx builds, which will end up with 1/8 diffs and either a Kyosho .25 or a LRP .28 or .32.
And I got 8 brand new axles for $40 shipped a while back, they make the Traxxas CVD's look small so they should hold up to BB power.

I had also go the HPI 17mm x 8mm bore hex's for dirt cheap too, but they are over 8mm and are really sloppy on the XXL stub axle, which once you put a tire on it it's 5X worse.
The HPI's are just too loose on the stub to use, so I figured to ask those who had the XXL/LST2 how the Losi 17's fit, I assumed they would fit well since they are made for the XXL/LST2, but, you just never know

I figured for a last resort I would buy some more Traxxas 17's and just ream them out so they fit snugly on the XXL stub.

The Traxxas CVD stub axle in the pic's above were drilled all the trough to 6mm and I used some 7075 round bar that I drilled, tapped to 5mm, then turned down for a nice tight fit.
I used red loc-tite on the insert to keep it in place on the threaded portion, shimmed and pushed the hex on.
There is ZERO slop in them now, it will be interesting to see how they hold up, if they don't last long I may give MisterCrash's mod for them a try.
But I think they will last, now I just need the rain to stop and my bashing areas to dry out, they all look like lakes ATM!

That sounds cool! I'm not too familiar with MAXXs so I wasn't really sure what you were doing but it sounds like its gonna be sweet. can't wait to see how it turns out :)

I still have more parts to buy but I have most of the hardest parts to lay hands on so I've been buying the rest of the parts as funds allow.

Looking forward to seeing the final result, please keep posting your progress.