losing signal while driving

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrdavis72

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
so as I'm driving i will lose control for a bout 5 seconds or so, when it does this my throttle stays on and i have no control (sometimes its full throttle). I have since this started changed my reciever and receiver battery. I went to hobby store they told me it was receiver so i bought new one, still haoppening. Took it back they said its battery for sure, bought new one- still happening. I'm at a loss,only other thing i can come up with is my opti drive, any thoughts?

The only thing that the opti drive unit does it keep you from shifting to reverse while it's moving forward. Check the plug end of your throttle servo and make sure you don't have a broken wire. Do you also loose control of the steering?

The only thing that the opti drive unit does it keep you from shifting to reverse while it's moving forward. Check the plug end of your throttle servo and make sure you don't have a broken wire. Do you also loose control of the steering?
yes it does control your shift but your throttle has to run through its electronics before reaching receiver,you also program your throttle and its range through the opti drive as well. hoping thats the problem

This sounds very similar to an issue I had with my Revo. My problem was that I would be bashing/driving the Revo down the street/grass/whatever and it would keep the throttle going for 3-5 seconds while I still retained steering control. I attempted to trouble shoot this by replacing servos, then finally got fed up and removed the Opti-Drive. Once I did this, the issue went away.

All of the discussions that I've seen on this forum say to get rid of the opti drive. I have a Revo and I've never used the opti drive. I have a brand new one somewhere with a new trans and I'm pretty sure I will never use the opti drive unit.

Yeah, I was pretty hesitant to remove it as I was initially scared of grenading my transmission with a mis-shift. As long as you're just fully stopped/very slow to stop, you're fine.

If you have a fancy radio (not TQ/TQi), you can even set up a custom programming map so that you can't shift to reverse/forward without fully applying the brakes. It's not a foolproof way of solving the issue but unless you've got the spare time on your hands to make your own Opti-Drive (I'll give you a head start, the Traxxas one is based on a PIC 16F628A) I see no issue with that.

Another solution of course (which isn't really a solution for bashers) is to just do a FOC. Where's the fun in that though? :D

Yeah, I was pretty hesitant to remove it as I was initially scared of grenading my transmission with a mis-shift. As long as you're just fully stopped/very slow to stop, you're fine.

If you have a fancy radio (not TQ/TQi), you can even set up a custom programming map so that you can't shift to reverse/forward without fully applying the brakes. It's not a foolproof way of solving the issue but unless you've got the spare time on your hands to make your own Opti-Drive (I'll give you a head start, the Traxxas one is based on a PIC 16F628A) I see no issue with that.

Another solution of course (which isn't really a solution for bashers) is to just do a FOC. Where's the fun in that though? :D
Yeah I would love to keep my reverse if possible ,cut out the sensor and be aware when switching to reverse. So it's possible to cut out the sensor and still have reverse? I have another tranny already set up as forward only with the steel Robinson racing teas, so I would like two be able to switch back and forth

Don't cut the sensor, take it off and replace it with the blocking plates (https://traxxas.com/products/parts/5157). You can also block the opti-drive hole with that. The area that the opti-drive is in is currently filled with wires b/c I stuffed a GY401 in my battery box.

one of my revos does the same ..but i lose complete control (steering and throttle ) havent found the problem yet ...its not the optidrive because its not in it......i figure its a bad servo somewhere

If you're losing complete control, that could indicate either a brown out (servo drawing too much current or weak battery etc) or a bad link/antenna between your radio/receiver.

When you lose your control, your throttle should immediately go back to idle. Additionally, it may not be a terrible idea to install a failsafe that will automatically try to brake your car.

Something that I noticed was that my shift servo burned out about 5 minutes of running after I took the Opti-Drive out. As far as I can tell, the Opti-Drive doesn't perform any endpoint modifications, so I have the hunch that the reason why my throttle servo was getting stuck was because of an issue semi related to the Opti-Drive. Of course, I'm too lazy to just try and fully diagnose the issue.

Back