Losi XXL sales way down

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I had an interesting email conversation with one of the guys over at Integy. I put out a lot of email feelers with every company I could find trying to locate a set of aluminum steering knuckles for my XXL. Anyway, he was telling me that the TMAXX sold 2-3 times more units than the Savage and Savage sold 15-20 times more units than the Losi XXL. I guess I can see why everyone is dropping after market support of the LST2/XXL. I guess the price point most just be too much for people cuz the XXL is just about the best MT out there IMO. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to stock up on plastic knuckles :) I thought those numbers were interesting and thought Id share :)

I guess I will have to do the same. If i find any aluminum spindles I will let you know.

That's sad to hear, but I think your right greywolf. The price of a new XXL is almost 700 dollars. That compared to the price of a tmaxx or savage can be a real deturant for some one looking for there first rig.

That's sad to hear, but I think your right greywolf. The price of a new XXL is almost 700 dollars. That compared to the price of a tmaxx or savage can be a real deturant for some one looking for there first rig.

I think it's more advertisement than price, Traxxas is in everything. The XXL is only $120 more than the T-Maxx 3.3, and only $20 more than the Revo. Up until a year ago, I didn't even know about the LST. I was planning on getting a Revo, I had wanted one for years, ever since I watched the videos that Traxxas used to have on their site (the backflip and wall riding). The other companies just aren't out there like Traxxas, walk into just about any HS and you'll see Traxxas everywhere.

You have a good point there. I completely forgot how much traxxas spends on there advertising.

these are my thoughts...

Assuming that Losi do put adequate emphasis on its 1/8 MT market.

sometimes, it is best for losi simply has to suit of its competitors so as not to loose in the running of market share. At the same time, losi has to come up with a different strategy that will spearhead its LST XXL sales. it is bold because its not easy to come up with the right strategy for an existing or new product to spearhead the market.

follow suit:

1. Losi should revive its LST 2 product to support the sale of its LST XXL as Savage do have some adequate variation of its Savage products (savage Xs, Savage XL) still selling and supported by HPI. Same goes with Traxxas.

Maybe Losi should call their revived LST2 as "LST2 Reloaded" where all the know weakness are resolved coupled with enhancements (ie option parts as standard)

2. Come up with an E-LST and in my opinion, it should be an E-LST2 rather than an E-LST XXL. Savage - its the Flux, and the same with Traxxas of its nitro and E versions. they have the E-Revo with the traxxas radio with integrated i=phone..thats a gimmic but its working and its an enhancement.

3. Pricing - this needs to be competitive with the rest of the market. good quality product, yes, but it my opinion that does that justify the benefit gain compared with its competitor? A USD700 against something that is lesser by usd120 with minimal cost benefit? maybe Losi can retain the current product package but strike a hard nego with its partners to bring the price down to a more competitive level.

with the 3 above, only then Losi 1/8 MT will be at par with the current market and maybe leading the MT market share (even if it is a follow suit strategy).

4. At the same time, Losi need to come up with a new concept or strategy or significant design improvement of a new product or its existing product...

Example....ie steering area. in my opinion, the entire design concept of the LST gives limited solution for the steering/servo saver. i believe this is one critical weak points. i can steer my savage with a 15kg servo with good results for long durations(years) on 420 bowtie BUT i cannot achieve the same 15kg servo with the same or near the response results on my LST2 and as for long durations(years) as the savage..........that is 3 variables in the LST2 steering design - single 15kg servo, good steering results and long duration(years)..i have used my 3 units of LST2 for 7 years and I have not solved this problem. my permenant solution is - upgrade my Servo link with a thicker DIY link, 2 x SAVOX 1268 and a direct ball link(using a mugen 2 ended ball link)..no servo saver.my savage - i just need one SAVOX 1268(with stock servo saver) and it will achieve a good steering response - slightly lesser than my LST2 setup...and my servo is well protected with the stock savage servo saver..

just my opinion. I love my LST more than the savage because it can be a perfect basher as well as a perfect track basher/racer. My savage Flux - its more of a basher and a disadvantage track basher/racer.

Last edited:
Based on the prices of the other MTs out there, I think the LST's is fair. I agree that it is expensive, but it's pretty obvious that you get WAY more with the XXL than you do with a T-Maxx or Revo. Everyone knows that it takes a lot of upgrades to get a Traxxas to be able to handle the abuse that a XXL can take stock. Then you look at the radio systems, the DX3S is WAY easier to use than the Traxxas radios, I hate having to count the blinks of a led while trying to read the menu on a piece of paper. Everyone knows that the telemetry on the DX3S is almost always off, but it does help you keep an eye on things once you figure out how off it is, plus I'm willing to bet the telemetry kits from Traxxas will be just as inaccurate. The XXL is also a true 1/8 scale MT and has the power plant of a 1/8 scale, while the Revo/Maxx are both really leaning to the 1/8 scale in size but are still powered by 1/10 scale engine. So if you really think about it, the extra $120 isn't all that much. I'm not bashing the Maxx or Revo either, I think they are great trucks and can be made into some crazy machines...especially when in the right hands. I can't wait to start building my T-Maxx, and I'll hopefully get a Revo in the future , it won't be a new RTR that's for sure but I will add one to my fleet eventually.

Now that Losi released there new line up of race vehicles, they should put there focus out on designing a new MT, or as aqeel mentioned, improve on there old platform. Maybe a re-release will spark company's to make more after market parts. I would hate to see the LST become extinct. The MGT's appear to be on there way out already.

Team losi is a racing company. They have an mt to help broaden their product line. It's not like they really care if the xxl can outsell the maxx. The xxl even has several common parts with the 8ight-t.
Traxxas vehicles are mostly bashers, they advertise, and a lot of their vehicles are geared toward the average idiot.
Losi isn't going anywhere, and price has nothing to do with this topic.