Looking to buy an on-road car

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conquesttsi87

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a large flat asphalt area to run on, very smooth! I have a tmaxx so I'm familiar with traxxas and their equipment but not completely loyal. I'm looking to grab a good used 4tec, rs4, etc. I'm looking for opinions on what i should stay away from, what to look out for, and what is the best for just rippin around, maybe some drifting?

Thanks

Are you looking more of a rally car or a true on-road car? If you're looking for something used with lots of parts support and afffordable to mess around with the HPI Nitro RS4 and the AE NTC3 would be a good way to start. The HPI kit is a 4wd belt driven car while the AE kit is a 4WD shaft driven on road car. If you can find it still AE offered a rally conversion kit for the NTC3. I owned both and both kits are good but I preferred the NTC3 because of its layout. Servicing and maintenance was easier on the NTC3 as well. I would recommend doing a rear exhaust non pull motor. Much better choice to get more variety motors to install in it. I've even seen a big block instal as well.

Are you looking more of a rally car or a true on-road car? If you're looking for something used with lots of parts support and afffordable to mess around with the HPI Nitro RS4 and the AE NTC3 would be a good way to start. The HPI kit is a 4wd belt driven car while the AE kit is a 4WD shaft driven on road car. If you can find it still AE offered a rally conversion kit for the NTC3. I owned both and both kits are good but I preferred the NTC3 because of its layout. Servicing and maintenance was easier on the NTC3 as well. I would recommend doing a rear exhaust non pull motor. Much better choice to get more variety motors to install in it. I've even seen a big block instal as well.
Great help, yes full on-road car is what I'd like to mess around with! I like to tinker, modify, test, and tune! Like i said, have a fresh asphalt surface to play on with my culdesac and driveway being paved as one. This is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks for the reply! I will look into the ntc3, wasn't aware it was out there...

It's an old kit but with parts availabilty and a ton full of information on forums and the internet will make it the best bang for your $. Too bad I just sold 1 NP NTC3 fully hopped up with one of the rarest part and a brand new motor., 1 PS NTC3 with a TOP Motor, an HPI RS3 electric touring car, suspension set up tool, starter box, 2 transmitters and and a bunch of brand new spare parts for $300. That RC Lot would have been perfect for u. I have about 3k worth of stuff on that RC Lot sale.
Great help, yes full on-road car is what I'd like to mess around with! I like to tinker, modify, test, and tune! Like i said, have a fresh asphalt surface to play on with my culdesac and driveway being paved as one. This is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks for the reply! I will look into the ntc3, wasn't aware it was out there...

I've got a lot of knowledge on the NTC3 so if you need anything hit me up. The parts you want to be looking after are KFactory parts like the tank(especially the tank, the stock one sucks), brake housing, shock towers, blade style sway bars, CF front bumper brace, aluminum Steering Rack, rear/front aluminum hingepin braces, lower aluminum bumper brace, centax clutch(if you want to race with it). Hardcore Racing titanium radio tray or AE or K Factory CF radio tray. RPM lower bumper(wide). Just to name a few parts. If you can find one with the version 2 shock towers even better but you can just get the whole upgrade kit it you don't find one with one.

Last edited:
IMG_0272.JPG
IMG_0273.JPG
You did pretty well. The radio is an older unit and if I'm not mistaken it does not have a built in failsafe. I recommend picking up one and putting in a throttle return spring for good measure. Just to give you an idea what the NTC3 can look like when built for racing with full on hop ups here's a pic of my non pull NTC3. Now that I've sold it I wished I kept it and just sold my pull start one with the RC Lot sale I did. I was looking around for 1/10 scale on road cars that wasn't going to break the bank and I couldn't find anything that fit the bill. The market for this category is not as popular as it used to be and there are not a lot to choose from as far as mid range category is concerned.

Last edited:
I gotta say, your builds are impeccable! As far as the car I just got, I'm not looking to race it, just rip around the cul-de-sac and up and down the driveway, tinker a little, but mostly burn up some tires. BTW did you get a chance to put those tires together using the Velcro cable ties on the foam you were talking about on my tmaxx tire question yet? Really interested to see that process, I've been holding off putting my bowties on the rims in anticipation of seeing your method! And again, thanks for all your help/advice. I'm sure once the NTC3 shows up and I have a chance to dig into it, tear it down and give it a once over, I'll have some more questions...

Thanks for the compliment. I was hoping to get the Arrma tires and wheels sooner but I forgot to put a bid on one that was available on EBay so I missed out on it. But as soon as I get a new set of tires and wheels I'll make sure to document the process and post it right away. By the way for on-road tires they sell traction compound to get more grip on asphalt. That's what I used when I would go to the organized
I gotta say, your builds are impeccable! As far as the car I just got, I'm not looking to race it, just rip around the cul-de-sac and up and down the driveway, tinker a little, but mostly burn up some tires. BTW did you get a chance to put those tires together using the Velcro cable ties on the foam you were talking about on my tmaxx tire question yet? Really interested to see that process, I've been holding off putting my bowties on the rims in anticipation of seeing your method! And again, thanks for all your help/advice. I'm sure once the NTC3 shows up and I have a chance to dig into it, tear it down and give it a once over, I'll have some more questions...
monthly parking lot racing during the summer a few years ago. They work really well. If you can't find it you can use WD40. Just soak the tires in a ziploc bag. Just spray enough to cover the tire surface and put it out in the sun for at least an hour before using them. Run the the car a few laps on medium speed and the tires should settle into the asphalt and you should get good traction then.

Also I'm including a link for the NTC3 setup that's very useful. It's taken straight from the Team Associated website. If your car doesn't have the version 2 suspension that's probably where I would start as far is replacing. Also if the car is the RTR version which is highly possible they used bushings on the inner hub carrier. I would replace those with bearings. I would also replace the bushings on the steering rack to bearings as well. If you can find the RPM bumper get that as well. For asphalt I run a staggered set up for wheels/tires to give more rear traction and stability. For a body I would choose the thicker ones. They have race bodies that are thinner but running on asphalt I would get the thicker one and one with a little more downforce to prevent you from rolling. I would also invest on a leaf blower(seriously)to help clean the area you will be running at. These cars sit pretty low so even a tiny pebble can cause the car to flip or some instances pick up air. I also use flush road cones to make a makeshift course. It gets boring eventually just running up and down a cul de sac. I live on a cul de sac as well just wished it was a longer one.
https://www.teamassociated.com/cars_and_trucks/NTC3/Factory_Team/manuals_setups/

Also I'm including a link for the NTC3 setup that's very useful. It's taken straight from the Team Associated website. If your car doesn't have the version 2 suspension that's probably where I would start as far is replacing. Also if the car is the RTR version which is highly possible they used bushings on the inner hub carrier. I would replace those with bearings. I would also replace the bushings on the steering rack to bearings as well. If you can find the RPM bumper get that as well. For asphalt I run a staggered set up for wheels/tires to give more rear traction and stability. For a body I would choose the thicker ones. They have race bodies that are thinner but running on asphalt I would get the thicker one and one with a little more downforce to prevent you from rolling. I would also invest on a leaf blower(seriously)to help clean the area you will be running at. These cars sit pretty low so even a tiny pebble can cause the car to flip or some instances pick up air. I also use flush road cones to make a makeshift course. It gets boring eventually just running up and down a cul de sac. I live on a cul de sac as well just wished it was a longer one.
https://www.teamassociated.com/cars_and_trucks/NTC3/Factory_Team/manuals_setups/
Great link, got it in the favorites! Car and starter box should be here as soon as the mailman arrives today!

I highly recommend KFactory parts but it's really hard to get and usually the EBay Seller is based in New Zealand but I've bought a couple of KFactory parts from the seller. If you can get the tank at least that would be good. It's lower CG and the pressure line inlet is on top of the cap already.

Back