Looking for screw set for Slash 4x4, and wondering what spur/pinion combination I should use.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The RC Car

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey, y'all! I've had a bunch of problems with the stock screws on the slash stripping. I started to look for screw sets for it but couldn't find anything that seemed reliable. Any suggestions on which one to buy?
I stripped my (stock) pinion gear, and since I need to get a new one anyway I'm wondering if there is one that would be better. I bash the car on and off-road pretty much about the same, I use a 2s 40c LiPo. Can't wait to get the car up and running again!

Last edited:
To be honest since you run road and off road,
I do the same the 3500vxl isn’t greatly torquey I use the stock spur gear and a 15t pinion off road is the issue if you go too high it puts a strain (Load) on the Motor and may not rev out, but will fast on the tarmac, If you go too Low it’ll have plenty of Acceleration and have no speed, you’ll have to find a Happy Medium that’s adequate for both terrain without stripping it apart for each run.
It boils down to trail and error. But 15/54 I think is acceptable .

To be honest since you run road and off road,
I do the same the 3500vxl isn’t greatly torquey I use the stock spur gear and a 15t pinion off road is the issue if you go too high it puts a strain (Load) on the Motor and may not rev out, but will fast on the tarmac, If you go too Low it’ll have plenty of Acceleration and have no speed, you’ll have to find a Happy Medium that’s adequate for both terrain without stripping it apart for each run.
It boils down to trail and error. But 15/54 I think is acceptable .
Thanks!

Hey, y'all! I've had a bunch of problems with the stock screws on the slash stripping. I started to look for screw sets for it but couldn't find anything that seemed reliable. Any suggestions on which one to buy?
I stripped my (stock) pinion gear, and since I need to get a new one anyway I'm wondering if there is one that would be better. I bash the car on and off-road pretty much about the same, I use a 2s 40c LiPo. Can't wait to get the car up and running again!
Arrmajunk was correct about the gearing. Here’s some help on the screws. There’s a company called RC Screwz that sells a kit that is stainless steel. They are MUCH less prone to stripping and won rust. The kit contains every replacement fastener you need and they even include extras. You can get them from Amain Hobbies or Amazon. The kit will run you roughly 30 bucks or so.

Arrmajunk was correct about the gearing. Here’s some help on the screws. There’s a company called RC Screwz that sells a kit that is stainless steel. They are MUCH less prone to stripping and won rust. The kit contains every replacement fastener you need and they even include extras. You can get them from Amain Hobbies or Amazon. The kit will run you roughly 30 bucks or so.
Thanks!

Back