Long Awaited Carbon Fiber Roll Cage is almost done

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FUBAR

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Its been along time, with a lot of money spent on carbon fiber that that got stuck to me and everywhere around my corner.

The pics below are the first stage of the CF wrap. I've cut panels out of the CF sheet and apply them on with a special adhesive that expands by 4 times, to make a super strong hold. The yellowish-brown "crust", if you can see itl, is the glue that had expanded through the weave. The back side with big piece of CF sheet over it will cover the engine, to protect the cooling head. I've also made a mold (not pictured) of the front end using the front end of a lexan truck body, to make a smoother more aerodynamic hood , and back end as well. I''l have more pics soon.

DSC01457.jpg

DSC01456.jpg

Is the Carbon fiber flexible or is it really rigid? ARe you putting it on one side or is it on the "exterior "side?

whoa! That is going to be nice! Post pics of the progress please

looks good. that tihng is going to be a tank when its done. good work

Is this for a revo? I am not too big on the "hardbodies" cages since their mounting location is not well thought out. I had one for my TMAXX and it always popped out. I got rid of it. But your project has promise.

This cage is for a Revo but I can do this to any VG Racing Roll Cage. The panels are first cut from Carbon Fiber in the "fabric" form, meaning theres no resin or epoxy holding it together. CF is basically long stainds of fiber held together by thread. It is very flexible and really easy to ruin the shape of the fabric, if you try to pull over a shape or something like that. As its in fabric form, I use a soft glue to hold the edge together when I cut it out for the panels. I only apply the expanding adhesive to the rails of the roll cgae for the first layer. "Sand" the edges or excess glue off, and then make a 60/40 mix of Epoxy to Hardener. Typically Carbon Fiber Sheets are made using a 50/50 blend but I use a bit more Epoxy so the CF is bit more flexible and won't crack as easy or split from impact. Apply the final Full layer of CF over the CF panels. Add more Epoxy/Hardener if needed. Once its dry, I apply a final clear coat using a Polyacryllic Clear Coat. As for the inside of the roll cage, I'm most likely going to put a thin layer of a Nylon weave, just to be safe, to secure the CF more. I'll definitely have more pics in a few days.

Thanks!