Local shop switched fuels

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaputoNL001

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
My LHS switched from a 20% fuel to Traxxas 33% top fuel. My question is should I go from using an O.S. #8 to the O.S. R5 cold plug? And should I Richen my needles? Seems to me higher nitro content will burn hotter, no?

My LHS switched from a 20% fuel to Traxxas 33% top fuel. My question is should I go from using an O.S. #8 to the O.S. R5 cold plug? And should I Richen my needles? Seems to me higher nitro content will burn hotter, no?

For the life of me ,I do not know why they wanted that crappaxxas fuel ,its Ka ka ,I would rather
let my engines sit before I put that stuff in my tank ,its not the nitro% ,its the brand!....

For the life of me ,I do not know why they wanted that crappaxxas fuel ,its Ka ka ,I would rather
let my engines sit before I put that stuff in my tank ,its not the nitro% ,its the brand!....
I have to agree. When I was running nitro, if they didn't have my preferred brand (which my LHS carried because it was their unofficial house brand), I would wait for a new order to come in. I used to run Cool Power Sidewinder 20%.

I have to agree. When I was running nitro, if they didn't have my preferred brand (which my LHS carried because it was their unofficial house brand), I would wait for a new order to come in. I used to run Cool Power Sidewinder 20%.

I've ran Sidewinder before ,that is a good brand!....:thumbs-up:

Sidewinder 20% is what I normally run. I found another shop near my work that sells it by the gallon. Taking the Traxxas back tomorrow.

Sidewinder 20% is what I normally run. I found another shop near my work that sells it by the gallon. Taking the Traxxas back tomorrow.

That's what I would do ,also if I might add ,its best to buy by the Gal. ,its cheaper than buying individual quarts ,
from where I'm at anyway!...:cool:

Going from 20% to 33% may require more than a plug change. Usually, engines are setup to run from 15-25. Any more or less causes compression issues which then causes detonation issues. With higher %, you need to add a head shim. Less, you need to take one away or go thinner. That as well as changing your plug temp. Higher requires a cooler plug I believe. I'm not sure you need cold, but you need cooler than what your running.

If your running a #8 now, maybe get an A5 and R5, then try the A5 first.

What engine is this?

Traxxas fuel is excessively oily and tends to be more expensive than others. I only run byrons 25% which I think has 8% oil in it. I ran 20% for years, but had an engine that called for 25%, so I was buying their 30% and 20% then mixing it when I couldn't find, which ended up with more oil than their 25% fuel had. It worked well too. I don't run nitro much anymore. I have an unopened gallon of 25% on the shelf and half a gallon that's been sitting there for over a year. I nitro ran twice this year and it ran great.

I used to run trinity MHP 20%. A buddy of mine back in the day liked odonnels, but it's too oily for me. Makes a mess and doesn't run nearly as well as the byrons did.

Back