local hobby shops

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jk6672

RCTalk Talkaholic
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I know we can get more bang for our buck online, but I'm just curious how many people support your local hobby shops by buying some stuff even though you know you can get it cheaper online? I know I have, but there are some things that are too over priced. I think it'd be a little awkward to ask questions, discuss products, and not buy something.

I generally buy most stuff on-line. If the people are good and treat you right and they stock the parts you need,I'd buy from a lhs but if they have to order it I'll just order my own. However,since the Joplin tornado in May took out our last hobby shop,I do miss having a place to go check out stuff hands-on.

My LHS is Hal's Hobby Shop and the guys there are super helpful. I've never purchased a single rig there but I've bought plenty of paint, bodies, and fuel from Charlie along with several of the usual broken parts. They do trains and plastic models but RC is probably half their business. They also have both on road and off road tracks and sponsor monthly races.

I always ask for the online price + shipping costs, and quite often get it! For instance, I am getting a set oof Big Bores for my Tmaxx, which my lhs wanted the full price for $100. I told them that I could get them for 79.99 on horizon Hobby and they went for it (+shipping costs that they would pay for).

I always try to support my lhs. If they don't have a part, then I order from the internet stores.

LHS is over an hour away...... thats time and fuel for me to get there.

Plus there idiots.

I only go there to buy fuel. If I am allready there.....and I need something simple and they have it.... I buy it.

my LHS only stack traxx parts, and i have an Ofna. i get all my tools and fuels there =)

but anything other than that, i will order online myself because they do not have any Ofna parts in stock.

but they are very nice and friendly tho. thats the only reason I'm going back there for tools and fuels. haha

I will typically only get odds and ends from my LHS. Bodies, paints, decals, tires, rims, etc... When it comes to drivetrain or suspension I go online as I can get exactly what I want. Gotta support your LHS but I'm not gonna break the bank on em either

4x4 Pedes and Slashes go for $450 at my lhs. I like supporting these guys but I'm not buying them steak dinners. I did buy my Onyx 235 from them. $90. Didn't even price em online. Didn't wanna know.:)

The closest hobby shop to me is 60 miles away. So I only go there pretty much for fuel and glow plugs he is mainly a Traxxas dealer but he stocks some HPI, Losi, and Ofna parts. He is also really into planes and helicopters too.

My LHS is a quick 5 minute drive away. I get all my rc stuff their because they always have what I need so I don't have to order my stuff online and wait for it to come. They always have Team Associated, Kyosho, and some Traxxas stuff. I mostly get Team Associated anyway. Hopefully "Santa" had the money to buy me the T4.1 that was delayed a million times due to lack of money. Brownies Hobby Shop is :first_place:

Last edited:
Not too many choices in wny. At one point I had three lhs nearby. We had hobbytown, fields, and transit station. Hobbytown closed up for whatever reason and the guy on transit mostly deals with trains and had like only 2 models in stock which was a used Tmaxx 2.5 and a nitro stampede. On top of that he sucks at customer service. Now fields hobby is the best by far even if we had like 4 more around. They always have parts in stock for every major brand and always carry a lot of traxxas, associated and hpi parts. Very knowledgeable and always throws me 10% off everytime. So when it came to buy the baja I went the lhs route eventhough I would have saved 280 but buying locally was more important. I'll get the fuel, small parts, batteries and misc items there but when the money is not there due to pay week, I'll order online.

my LHS is actually in another state,I live in maryland and have to drive to delaware.

The thing I did, was went to my LHS and asked for a part with no #, and let them show me their cpu as they browsed on their sites where they get their parts, then turn around and go home and get them at the same price + shipping. Thats how I ran across HorizonHobby.com

LHS is over an hour away...... thats time and fuel for me to get there.

Plus there idiots.

I only go there to buy fuel. If I am allready there.....and I need something simple and they have it.... I buy it.

I'm in the exact same boat.

I'm stuck in the middle of the sticks, closest hobby shop is over 2 plus hours away. so for me i have no choice, i have to get everything online. that said if their was one close by i would try to support it !

My lhs is 1 hour and 20 mins away, so I buy fuel, and I recently bought a slipstream body.

I get most things from ebay. I don't really feel sorry for the hobby shops that are struggling, because the ones on ebay are mostly hobby shops!

If any one of them is going to survive, they need to get with the times.

I have a lhs about 30 mins away but the dude is a ahole, will only go buy fuel from him. The other one is Quincyhobby. They are A++++ you can order parts from them and they'll ship them to you for $2 aslong as they fit in the box. If not its more for shipping. Its a hour drive one way so I dont get down there to often but when I do they are all very nice and have alot of knowledge that they dont mind sharing. I've got parts with my rig down there and the guy will put them on for free. Other than that I order online. If I lived closer to quincy Id spend the extra few bucks to buy everything from him.

Back