Little help for a FNG, what did I buy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiefGeek

RCTalk Addict
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I just jumped into nitro cars half blindedly. I did do a bit of research to decide what I wanted. Narrowed it down to a few trucks and ended up finding one on CL. I traded some computer stuff for it so I'm not really out any money. All I know is it's a HPI savage and seems to have a few upgrades. Hoping I can get some info on what I got and any tips, info, suggestions for the FNG. Total value of trade was roughly 200-250 I'd say, so i'm pretty sure I did ok. It came with some fuel, radio, tools, spare axels.

Attachments

• 2011-06-30_06.52.59.jpg
    2011-06-30_06.52.59.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 2011-06-30_06.53.26.jpg
    2011-06-30_06.53.26.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 2011-06-30_06.54.17.jpg
    2011-06-30_06.54.17.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 2011-06-30_06.54.07.jpg
    2011-06-30_06.54.07.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 152
  • 2011-06-30_06.54.50.jpg
    2011-06-30_06.54.50.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 163
If it runs, you got a pretty good truck. Not sure about the TVPs, but the rest looks like an X. Progressive suspension, and if you look at the truck from the same view as the second pic, but at more of an angle, you can tell me what the markings are on the side of the engine block. Then we can tell you what engine you have too.

It's either a 25, with X upgrades and then some, or an X with additional upgrades.

Well that narrows it down some, I appreciate it. How do I tell for sure exactly what I have here?

I was told it had a 3 speed transmission and most parts have been upgraded. But I don't take someone’s word on things like this until I verify it from a non-involved party, such as this forum. I'll take a look at it when I get home and see what the motor says on it. I can't wait to give it a good run around the road and through my yard. Should be fun. Any other input would be great. Thanks!

It's hard to tell exactly what it started out as. The Savage line of trucks are all very similar, and very easy to upgrade. If it's tuned right, you should know pretty quick if it's a 3-spd or not, listen for shift points.

Well I plan to be out pissing off the wife and neighbors alike tonight after work, so I'll ask them what they heard.

---------- Post added at 1:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:25 PM ----------

The TVPs say big bore on them and appear to be a carbon fiber or some sort of weaved fiber. Not sure what sort of technologies are being used in this hobby.

Well I plan to be out pissing off the wife and neighbors alike tonight after work, so I'll ask them what they heard.

---------- Post added at 1:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:25 PM ----------

The TVPs say big bore on them and appear to be a carbon fiber or some sort of weaved fiber. Not sure what sort of technologies are being used in this hobby.

Yea, the TVPs are aftermarket, which makes it a bit harder to recognize the version

I noticed the A arms are not metal, but alot of what I read is that is a common upgrade due to how easy they are to break. Any recommendations if I decide to up them later?

Metal is expensive, and when it bends, it stays that way. Plastic is cheap, and will flex on impact. Not only that, but they are the same all the way around, so just get one or two packages of them, and you're set. RPM is a good brand for plastic aftermarket parts, their plastic has much more flex than most others.

I say its an older savy but I dont know my savy's very well, I can tell you that you got a nice set of tires, got those on my SCT and they rip!

Another good piece of info. No idea whether any good or not before people share that with me.

Attachments

• 2011-06-30_06.53.41.jpg
    2011-06-30_06.53.41.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 2011-06-29_22.57.48.jpg
    2011-06-29_22.57.48.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 127
I would say wether or not it ran, it was still an alright steal, since savys are what like 500 bones? Throw a picco or something it and then it will rip and you will love it!

The guy told me it ran, I believe him simply because I know where he works and easily can find him again. Plus it does have some fresh dirt on it, still nice and loose sand on tires. I'll know here in about an hour and a half when I get home and fire the sob up. Never seen a drill start before. It came with a starter drill, but guy said a real drill works way better. Will try both but dont want to rip the thing up by spinning drill too fast. It came with some extras like axels and the original body, which I'm betting if I look at it i'll be able to tell what model it is. After looking at them online I see that the body style all had slight to obvious differences. I remeber it's a orange and black truck body.

---------- Post added at 3:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:16 PM ----------

I've seen picco mentioned, anyone got a brief summery of what this engine is and why its so much better...and worse how much?

It looks like the TVP's have been painted but the shape looks like the older Savage 25 TVP's. Same with the engine.

It's most likely an X, possibly with an older motor. It has the X style radio box and roll bar, big bores, and aftermarket TVPs with a camo graphics on them...

The tvps are aftermarket. They arnt painted with that pattern, atleast not outside a factory. All I could see on the motor are the numbers 28, maybe that means something to someone. I am sitting on my porch now, big old grin on my face. Trucks having problems running. Not seeing that steady stream of smoke except when gunning it. It died once and restarted right away. Died again and now wont start. Not even trying as if no glow, could be a dead glow starter. Will play with it more tomorrow. But for better explanation of the smile, the guy who lives up the street who lets his Jack Russel run loose and tear up trash and crap in my yard laughed when it took off after my truck and bit the tire. Luckily this sob is heavy. I turned it around around and gunned it and slammed into the dogs ass as it ran away. A few words were exchanged and the dogs back in his house and I'm still enjoying the best laugh I've had in awhile. Truck wont start now, but if it never starts again it was still all worth it.

---------- Post added at 8:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:01 PM ----------

If this is the original body, then X is correct. That's what it says on the body.

the engine say 28 or 25? thats the size of the motor. i dont remember the engine models all that well, but savage did have a .25 out...not sure on the .28 tho. since its not starting it could be a few items. dead glow starter, bad plug or possibly an issue with the motor.

had you looked in the radio box yet? if not, i would and verify the battery leads are connected properly and look into a fail safe or the new Killer bee nitro kill switch. they shut down the motor in case you lose radio signal.

as for getting a motor...thats like asking should i get a ford or chevy. Chevy guys will swear by chevy and the same for ford guys. Motors vary in price from 100 to 400 for a modded big block. i always ran the stock HPI motors and never had an issue. my s25 had close to 6 gallons when it finally died.

anyway, enjoy the truck and welcome to the forum. there are a bunch of great guys on here.

Yeap I'm rather positive it says 28. Will take second look. The seller said it had the engine swapped, but as I mentioned I don't trust just because they said so. The motor started right back up, but I let it sit for a few minutes before I restarted it, but had the ignited charging so could be either one. Perhaps it got too hot and that's why it was dieing? There wasn't alot of smoke coming out and if I remember correctly from the noob guides, too lean leads to over heat and little/no smoke. I need to get a temp gun and see, but might adjust a little richer and see what happens.
As far as the guys here, I can't agree more. Seems to be very friendly atmosphere and very little snobbery. I appriciate all the help all you guys have given me. Makes this new hobby alot more fun by eliminating alot of frustration.

the engine dying could be from being too lean..so becareful. once we a good idea on the engine, you can always go back to factory settings and tune for performance. this way you know the needles are right.

another helpful piece of advice, dont play the 'keeping up with the jones'. you end up spending more than you really need. temp guages are a perfect example. you can spend 20 bucks or 75 bucks to do the same task. keep things simple and the hobby stays fun.

as yes, the guys here are great for help or venting.

The Savy X is a "4.6", which is a .28 engine, so it might be a replacement engine, but still the right one for the truck.

The S-25 model, like mine, is a "4.1", which is a .25 engine.

Check your glow ignitor and also pull the glow plug and check it on a fully charged ignitor to see how it glows.

HTH...
Mark

The engine is an Associated Pro .28,the black head gives it away. Exactly the same as my SC8 and several other AE vehicles. The TVPs are aftermarket,they do not match the 21/25 or X styling.

Last edited:
Back