Limited Steering

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrFranz

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
not sure I'm getting all the steering lock I should on my Rustler VXL 4x4. I have to pitch it hard and throttle steer it to turn, it seems like the fronts hardly steer at all. Any help on that?

Is it a stock servo? 2056? 2075? Both are pretty weak and can get tired pretty quickly. It might be time to upgrade. There are a ton of aftermarket options and everyone has an opinion on which is best. I'm partial to ProModeler servos, but they're not at all the cheapest option. I would recommend looking around and seeing which servo fits your budget and needs best.

If an upgrade isn't feasible, I would recommend checking all the connections and make sure nothing is loose or uber-tight. Any resistance in your steering, or over-flexing caused by loose connections will result in poor performance from your servo.

It's not new, I've bashed (and smashed) it a million times. I'll check with my hobby shop for servo advice.

I'd just rebuild the front end. That's what I did with my Bandit.

not sure I'm getting all the steering lock I should on my Rustler VXL 4x4. I have to pitch it hard and throttle steer it to turn, it seems like the fronts hardly steer at all. Any help on that?
Understeer can be caused by many things. How is the turning radius at very slow speeds? Very often the front wheels do turn enough and the pushing is caused by other things.

Not talking about Understeer, per se, but lack of steering lock, huge turning radius.

I had similar problem when I tried to share transmitters between the TRX and the slash. It "should be" seamless but it's doesn't work right. If you are sharing remotes you might try rebinding it.

Also check your Steering Dual Rate and make sure it's at 100%.

Also check your Steering Dual Rate and make sure it's at 100%.

Dual Rate to 100% only if the travel is already limited with EPA.

If the end points are not set, use only enough dual rate for the steering to reach full lock. It’s often less than 100%.

Dual Rate to 100% only if the travel is already limited with EPA.

If the end points are not set, use only enough dual rate for the steering to reach full lock. It’s often less than 100%.

I usually set me steering EPA on each side first, then adjust the D/R if needed. I don'evert adjust my EPA unless I change servos, linkage, etc.

My D/R is always 100% on the crawlers and Slash. It's gets turned way down on the speed run cars.

It's possible it got turned down and he didn't notice.

I usually set me steering EPA on each side first, then adjust the D/R if needed. I don'evert adjust my EPA unless I change servos, linkage, etc.

My D/R is always 100% on the crawlers and Slash. It's gets turned way down on the speed run cars.

It's possible it got turned down and he didn't notice.
I agree completely, that’s how I do it as well.

My concern was that most RTR transmitters don’t have EPA so it’s 100% all the time. If the dual rate is also 100% the servo will most likely push against a hard stop and incur damage.

Not only that, but all of the steering will happen close to the center position of the wheel (lots of dead band at both ends) so it’s difficult to steer the vehicle precisely.

I agree completely, that’s how I do it as well.

My concern was that most RTR transmitters don’t have EPA so it’s 100% all the time. If the dual rate is also 100% the servo will most likely push against a hard stop and incur damage.

Not only that, but all of the steering will happen close to the center position of the wheel (lots of dead band at both ends) so it’s difficult to steer the vehicle precisely.
Absolutely true. Low end radios may not have EPA.

The Traxxas TQi (assuming that's what he's running) does have EPA. However, the older TQ radios do not have EPA.