lightning rr pro?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The shocks work fine for me. I put 30 wt in the front and rear. The shocks came with some stuff that looked like actual penzoil or some type of motor oil, and smelled just like it. Who knows. Other than that the shocks are working great for me. Other than the engine and tires, everything is still stock on it. I havn't needed to upgrade any parts yet. No CV's. When I have problems with the dogbones popping out or get too much play, then I will replace them, but if it ain't broke....

The HB buggy is not a bad buggy. It just needs a few more years to be refined and made more competitive. I have driven the RR and in mind after driving the likes of thr Mugen and GS Storm Pro it doesn't compare. You say I am comparing apples and oranges well the RR doesn't hold a candle to my Storm RTR. It lacks power was the first thing I thought. Second turning is not predictable and has big time understeer issues. I'm sure a high torque servo would help. I am serious when I say that the guy who owns the RR where I live cannot keep it on the track for more than 5 minutes. He cans one jump and thats it! He is selling it for $300 if you are interested though. He's buying a Storm after driving mine and my buddies. I underestand where all this is coming from. We all can't jump in with both feet and buy the Kani so we look for a cheaper kit that has the same stuff. I'm not going to lie if you look at the Storm and the Lightning the layout is exactly the same upon first inspection so they are similar. The GS has a way lower CG (Center of Gravity) and thats why it wins in World sancuned races. This thread has gotten informative as it can be so I suggest you go here and read reviews for yourself.

http://www.nitroreview.com/compare/homekits.cfm

I've read the reviews there. The guy that can't keep his car on the track because of breakage is probably someone who can't drive very well. You can't get a buggy and expect it to hold up to the abuse some give it. A guy here that just bought the K2 edition two weeks ago has broken every race. Wheel nut came loose, he broke a hub carrier and his steering linkage screws come loose like it's going out of style. It is plain to see he has deep pockets but can't drive to save his life. Like i said before, I don't claim this engine that came stock with it to be a power plant, but put the same engine in your Storm and you'd be complaining just the same. Yes, a hi torque servo did the trick for the understeer problems. But who doesn't have to replace stock servos? The motor I have in it right now will hold up to any buggy on my track...RTR or an expensive 800 dollar kit.

Originally posted by mmisterbungle
I've read the reviews there. The guy that can't keep his car on the track because of breakage is probably someone who can't drive very well. .

Everybody crashes even Greg Degani (world 1/8 buggy champ) but would he still win if his buggy was broken from canning a single jump? No he wins because his buggy is tuff and the turn marshall flips it over and he's off again.

How tough a buggy is extremley important when you are a newb. You will crash ALOT if your learning to fly. Althought it will get you familar with the assembly/dis assembly of your buggy. His name is Novice Rob so I take it his driving experience is limited so this is just my opinion if you want to spend your time acutally practicing on driving and not practicing being a mechanic.

humboltd....this is exactly my point. The lightning that i have, has NOT BROKEN. I have raced it for two months, every weekend, and like i said hard practice during the week. I am simply putting my EXPERIENCED two cents in, being that I own and drive this buggy. Do you get it yet?:confused:
And if he's novice, I don't see any reason to get an expensive buggy to learn on. I am learning on this cheaper buggy that way when and if i do decide to spend an outrageous amount of money on one, I won't be breaking it so much from the get go.

You both missed the point that the RTR version is not what peaked my interest.

The Lightning Pro is the only version worth a look imo. nitroreview.com does not have the Pro version listed. This is a new version that came out in December.

I'm still very leary of this car. I may be able to look at one at my LHS on thursday. I'm not buying yet thought.

humboldtblazer of Eureka, CA
This buggy is AWESOME. I smoke Kani 7.5 and Mugen Works at my track. Easy to assemble (most buggies are. This thing is solid I jump it crazy and it never brakes. The only thing I have had to replace is shock bladders. Go GS you hit the nail on the head with this puppy.

You crack me up man. You're the one on nitroreview that left any feed back on the GS Storm Pro. (hence the 5/5) :p

Last edited:
:cheers:

To Bungle: You are right you have one and I dont so you can vouch for the buggy and it is valid. I drove the RR for 2 laps so that is the extent of my driving experience when it comes to the Lightning. I glad you are satisfied with your buggy and that Hot Bodies did a better job on the "pro" version.

To Novice Rob:
That is funny isnt it. I think you are taking my advice wrong. I am not telling you that the Storm is the best because it isnt. I'm just telling you that in my search for a buggy and to not waste my money and to have a chassis that I could later upgrade and it might hang with the K's and Mugens (there is a reason everyone compares their buggy to those two, they are simply the best. So my main point is not to steer you to the Storm but away from such a new non-competitve (as far as the pro race circut) buggy. The lightning pro could take the next Worlds for all I know? I just wouldnt buy one until more real world results were available. On that point the Storm had a few problems when it was a new kit and if it was 2 years ago I would be telling you the same thing about the Storm as I am the lightning now. This is really an exhuasted point so this will be my last post ont he topic. Rob I am glad to see you buying a buggy. The reality is after driving your DuraTraxx you will love whatever buggy you choose. Buggies are awesome period. It is also good to see someone really weighing all the pros and cons as you are. Whatever you get I think you will have made an educated choice for what best suits you.:cheers:

Back