lightning rr pro?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfatride

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
has ne one heard any info on this buggy? i was looking at the lighting rr but then someone had mentioned that they are coming out with a pro version?? also is this a good buggy for the cash???:banana:

Hard to tell because it is so new. Nobody has reviewed it yet. I can atest for the high quality of aftermarket parts I bought from HB for my HPI RS4. I think if you buy the RTR and the pro comes out you can always buy the upgrades I did this with the Storm RTR and now it is the pro version.

lightning rr rtr

just bought one the instructions suck they say nothing about how to break it in but thats easy the radios an el cheapo and it could use a stronger steering servo all you need is a d battery and gas and your ready to go. and the springs seem soft to me

just bought one it seems allright but the instructions are just exploded views and the steering servo is a little week but it does come with every thing except fuel and a c battery the suspension seems too soft also :OMG:

Originally posted by merkman
just bought one it seems allright but the instructions are just exploded views and the steering servo is a little week but it does come with every thing except fuel and a c battery the suspension seems too soft also :OMG:
Deja Vu

after doing some sniffing and such it is pretty much the same as the mp 7.5 if interested I can get some pics so you can compare them your self

yeah throw some pics up. i really belive this will be my next rc:naughty:

hot bodies photos

the photos of the car are up in the my image section and can any one I dentify the engine

the eingin is a .21 BB same as in the savage, its a great buggy i got it and love it the spings are weak so i put trinity black springs on em its a great buggy i also upgraded teh radio system to a airtronics MX-3 lot better than stock lol

Originally posted by humboldtblazer
Hard to tell because it is so new. Nobody has reviewed it yet. I can atest for the high quality of aftermarket parts I bought from HB for my HPI RS4. I think if you buy the RTR and the pro comes out you can always buy the upgrades I did this with the Storm RTR and now it is the pro version.

Update...I have seen it run and driven it at my track and its CRAP! it has the same .21 as the Savage and is WAY underpowered. If they would have put a decent engine it might be ok. As for the Kyosho knockoff that it is NOT! the layout is similar as all buggies go (been about the same for 10 years now) The parts are brittle and the aluminum is soft. The shocktowers are a couple of mm too thin if you ask me. They guys who owns it can't keep it on the track for 5 minutes without parts breaking or flying off. A play buggy it is, a track start it will never be..............:cool:

Originally posted by humboldtblazer

Update...I have seen it run and driven it at my track and its CRAP! it has the same .21 as the Savage and is WAY underpowered. If they would have put a decent engine it might be ok. As for the Kyosho knockoff that it is NOT! the layout is similar as all buggies go (been about the same for 10 years now) The parts are brittle and the aluminum is soft. The shocktowers are a couple of mm too thin if you ask me. They guys who owns it can't keep it on the track for 5 minutes without parts breaking or flying off. A play buggy it is, a track start it will never be..............:cool:

Which version of the Lightning was it the RR or the Pro?

The RR was total crap. The Pro just came out in December.

I don't know if I'm going to get the Lightning Pro. It is tempting but I may just save my pennies.

I still think, however, someone should really give the Lightning Pro a good look over.

Pros:

has some nice heavy parts
better than the koysho mp75 sport which is $50 more

Cons:

engine sucks (.21 from the savage)
the box looks like it's from walmart:

lightningpro.jpg

I'd like to see rc car action or one of those check this thing out. I think there is more under that cheap plastic box than anyone realizes.

-rob

Last edited:
Originally posted by NoviceRob
I don't know if I'm going to get the Lightning Pro. It is tempting but I may just save my pennies.

I still think, however, someone should really give the Lightning Pro a good look over.

Pros:

has some nice heavy parts
better than the koysho mp75 sport which is $50 more

Cons:

engine sucks (.21 from the savage)
the box looks like it's from walmart:

lightningpro.jpg

I'd like to see rc car action or one of those check this thing out. I think there is more under that cheap plastic box than anyone realizes.

-rob

I know you really want that lightning pro to be good but its just a mediocre attemp at a racing buggy. Hot Bodies makes great aftermarket stuff but in my opinion there kits need a couple more years of R&D and track time.:sleeping: now go buy one.

Ok, for a bunch of people that havn't driven this thing, I see why the majority of you say it is a badly built buggy. I've had this buggy for 2 months, havn't broken a thing. Unless you count a bent shock shaft. This thing takes monster triples at our local track easy. I will have to agree though on the motor. I've already swapped that with an Ofna hyper 21 4 port. I've won 1st place 2 weeks in a row with this buggy as well. There's nothing skimpy about this buggy. The LHS owner hates that he sold me the thing, nothing breaks. :hehe:

mmisterbungle, Man, you're killing me. I woke up this morning with my mind set on saving up for the base mp75. Now I don't know what I want to do. I could save soooo much cabage.

God, I'm just so confused. :doh:

Don't let me sway your decision. The MP 7.5 is a great buggy as i'm sure you know. However...yes...you could save a lot of money on the lightning. The one thing I would consider though, which buggy does your LHS stock the most parts for? The one here in San Antonio is going to start stocking now that myself and two others have the RR out at the track. By the way, are any of you running on a blue groove track, and if so, what tire combo do you find that works well. We have found that here, crime fighters in rear and dirty harry up front work like a dream. I've also tried panther's in the front and they work well too. http://zoomshobbies.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=7045

it's sooo tempting.

In the context of the Torq .16 in my duratrax blowing up, I'm finding it hard to buy another "cheap" R/C. I think it really is true that "you get what you pay for". I'm just thinking I need to pay more than $350 for a good buggy.

However, I read stuff like this:

Originally posted by k_bojar

For those of you that are still questioning the abilities of the Lightning in the off-road :) Here is the results from my track this weekend:

10 minute A-Main
1st - HB Lightning Pro -- 17/10:29.921
2nd - Mugen -- 16/9:54.252
3rd - Kyosho 7.5 -- 16/10:16.016
4th - Kyosho 6.5 -- 14/8:25.891
5th - GS Storm -- 14/10:30.724
6th - HB Lightning Pro -- 14/10:32.040
7th - Kyosho 7. Sport -- DNS killed plastic spur gear
8th - OFNA -- DNS broke something
9th - HP Lightning Pro - DNS had to leave early

On one hand, I don't want cheap junk and that's what I feel like I'm going to get with the Lightning Pro. On the other hand, I hear great things about it and I could go get one right now.

-rob

PS:

This killed me:

7th - Kyosho 7. Sport -- DNS killed plastic spur gear

plasic spur gears.... told ya the sport is junk :x

Well for starters...and don't take this the wrong way...anything will be better than duratrax. And you're gonna see off the bat, that HB did not make a cheap buggy here. This is simply a great deal that they are sharing with R/C enthusiasts just like ourselves. A buggy doesn't have to be 800 dollars for a rolling chasis alone to tear up a track. It's all in the driver, and of course durability is a plus when you do make thoe mistakes, God forbid.:eek:pps:
Take a look around the internet. These Hot Bodies Buggies are sold out everywhere. Do a search on google. If you ask me, this buggy will undoubtedly go up in price. HB will start with bigger and better editions, pro, race, blah blah, you get the point. And with each upgrade or better part, up goes the price. Get it now at the low price it is at. Like I said, I've kicked many a kyosho and ofna buggy butt with this thing. Put the right motor in it and you'll be fine. But who the hell am I?:bandit:

mmisterbungle, duratrax is junk. No offense tanken. :p I'm glad you're getting good results with this buggy. I've read similar
experiences.

what all have you replaced from stock besides the engine? I read someplace the shocks are not so good on the Lightning Pro and that one should buy the koysho shocks. Also, did you go with Rear CV's?

-rob

Last edited:
Back