LED light bar rear red (with white reverse light) (high-voltage) (24 red LEDs 24 white LEDs 100mm wide) light bar mount connector issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marksy

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi, I have bought the Traxxas LED Light Kit X-Maxx TRX7885 and on fitting the rear light one of the very small connectors that has 3 very small cables got caught and two of the cables broke right where they connected to little white connector. I have contacted Traxxas and they say they are not repairable and I have to buy a complete unit (8773) so my question is has anyone else had this issue where the connectors are very small and can't be soldered or put the two disconnected cables back into the connector - does anyone know if anyone say on Amazon sell them - my problem is I am in Spain so buying from a US based company is not possible and am sure this will happen again over time. Many thanks in anticipation of possible help.

There are two connectors in pic, they are both the same size but the one that has the broken cables is the one which has 3 cables into it. Sorry pic is not great as I did a screen shot from the Traxxas website.

Attachments

• 482A31F4-39C9-42A6-A515-36DA2B83B8FB_4_5005_c.jpeg
    482A31F4-39C9-42A6-A515-36DA2B83B8FB_4_5005_c.jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 50
That's just a regular JST connector. The Traxxas guy you spoke with said that cannot be repaired? Reply back to him and tell him to tie a rope to the light fixture above his cubical and hang himself. In fact, screenshot this and send it to him...
"You are either an absolute moron, or an asshat trying to make a sale".

See if this looks like the connectors...
https://www.amazon.com/XLX-Connection-15cm-Terminal-Connector-Compatible/dp/B081BX8373/ref=sr_1_12?crid=3NG5DOO8K3AOX&keywords=3+pin+jst+connector&qid=1647511858&sprefix=3+pin+jst+connector,aps,86&sr=8-12

These come in handy too for joining wires together...
https://www.amazon.com/Kuject-Connectors-Waterproof-Electrical-Automotive/dp/B073RMRCC3/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1ZB2F68DX3NWM&keywords=solderless+butt+connectors&qid=1647512135&sprefix=solderless+butt+connectors,aps,74&sr=8-3&th=1

Or, if you are really handy, and can work on small things, you can possibly pull the pin out of that connector and solder the wire back on. There are little tabs that hold the pins in. You have to gently push the tab down past the plastic to get it to slide out. But you have to bend that tab back up slightly and reinsert it when you are done. Careful, that tab breaks really easily.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your help and information. I really like your comments regarding Traxxas as all they are interested in is selling and I have to say that the quality of these connectors is so poor and delicate - it is also now I noticed that instead of having everything made in Taiwan they are now as the whole kit made in CHINA!!!:mad::mad: Not a good move in my view. Just to make it as cheap as possible with poor design and quality and sell at exorbitant prices - anyway my rant over, thanks again. :thumbs-up:

No problem. Let me know if you need any more help. I hate the fiddly connectors you have to deal with when it comes to RC, but they are a necessary evil needed to fit all this good chit into such a tiny package 😉

That's just a regular JST connector. The Traxxas guy you spoke with said that cannot be repaired? Reply back to him and tell him to tie a rope to the light fixture above his cubical and hang himself. In fact, screenshot this and send it to him...
"You are either an absolute moron, or an asshat trying to make a sale".

See if this looks like the connectors...
https://www.amazon.com/XLX-Connection-15cm-Terminal-Connector-Compatible/dp/B081BX8373/ref=sr_1_12?crid=3NG5DOO8K3AOX&keywords=3+pin+jst+connector&qid=1647511858&sprefix=3+pin+jst+connector,aps,86&sr=8-12

These come in handy too for joining wires together...
https://www.amazon.com/Kuject-Connectors-Waterproof-Electrical-Automotive/dp/B073RMRCC3/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1ZB2F68DX3NWM&keywords=solderless+butt+connectors&qid=1647512135&sprefix=solderless+butt+connectors,aps,74&sr=8-3&th=1

Or, if you are really handy, and can work on small things, you can possibly pull the pin out of that connector and solder the wire back on. There are little tabs that hold the pins in. You have to gently push the tab down past the plastic to get it to slide out. But you have to bend that tab back up slightly and reinsert it when you are done. Careful, that tab breaks really easily.

🤣🤣😂😂
Agree. If it was made, it can be fixed. Unless its the vxl esc with the waterproofing on the board.

If you deal with Traxxas again, Steven Lindholm(?) I'm sure thats the guy who helped me out circa 2008ish. Very professional guy.

If you can wire leds, Axial has a lightbar kit that needs to be wired.

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/ax31152.htm

Back