Large screen Plasmas

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastEddy

The Slowest Guy In Town
Supporter
RCTalk Vendor
Reaction score
I just picked up an HD 43" plasma monitor.

This is my first Plasma and as a matter of fact my first HD TV.
I'm just wondering how to get the most out of it.

Currently I have Dish Network. I do understand that the HD capabilities are not being used with my current setup. Changing providers at this time isn't an option for me.

How can I utilize the HD capabilities with my current setup?
Any good sites to go to for education on this subject?

My output seems a bit... Its hard to explain but ill try.
Splotchy, If I had to compare it to something I would say its like looking at a good photograph in .gif format without enough colors. Don't get me wrong the picture quality is damn good but it doesn't seem natural at times. When I watch HBO or a DVD the quality is great but the shadings and color transitions are like I described above. If I tune into a network channel the quality goes down hill, some are worse then others.

I'm sure I need a different Sat receiver or converter box of some sort.

Help!

I think the only way to get the best use out of ANY HD t.v. is to get some H.D. programming. I dunno what dish network offers but I would imagine that they offer a handful of high definition channels. From what I understand sat are supposed to all digital, but that doesn't mean they're HD. I have a 43" DLP and quite honestly it doesn't look any better than a normal tube t.v. when I'm watching t.v. I havn't ordered any HD programming yet. The only time I feel like I'm getting my money's worth with the t.v. is when I'm watching a DVD or playing video games.. at least for right now.

i dont think that dish network has more than a couple of hd channels

dish has like 5 or 6 hd channels.... thats what we have with our front prejector... you cna also get hbo HD and showtime... etc... at an extra cost of course... the dish netowrk hd service is only 10 dollars more a month so its worth it... however you would need a different reciever box... also DO NOT SCRIMP ON THE CABLES!!!!! get yourself some good cables... good does not necesarily mean expensive (cough)monstercable(/cough).... bettercables.com and bluejeanscable.com both have EXCELLENT cables. also when hooking up things such as dvd players, etc use the best solution possible i.e. s-video over composite. component video over s-video. and dvi over component.... depends on your setup however... just my .02

oh and education.... WWW.AVSFORUM.COM.... i recommend it to everyone

Nathan_454 said:
dish has like 5 or 6 hd channels.... thats what we have with our front prejector... you cna also get hbo HD and showtime... etc... at an extra cost of course... the dish netowrk hd service is only 10 dollars more a month so its worth it... however you would need a different reciever box... also DO NOT SCRIMP ON THE CABLES!!!!! get yourself some good cables... good does not necesarily mean expensive (cough)monstercable(/cough).... bettercables.com and bluejeanscable.com both have EXCELLENT cables. also when hooking up things such as dvd players, etc use the best solution possible i.e. s-video over composite. component video over s-video. and dvi over component.... depends on your setup however... just my .02

I totally agree with Nathan. Cables are the bloodline of any home entertainment system. I do use Monster Cable but that's not to say that other brands aren't as high of quality.

i dont have the time right now to research it but I've seen on tech tv that some regular over the air channels are brodcasting hd and all you need is a small tv antenna...kinda like the new age rabbit ears...they say it works great

yeah retarded pilot is right... if you live in a metro area you can get HD via an antenna... I am getting a couple channels right now using a small TERK brand antenna. looks good but theres only a couple channels.

From what I understand, the tv/monitor is HD ready. Its my assumption I need an HD tuner to translate any signal I may be getting. I researched it with Dish and the $10.00 package above seems to be the way I will need to go.

eddy. pick up [ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/630551982X/winsockprogramme/102-1849610-6973714]this disk[/ame]. it will help you set your tv for the best picture possible. i recommend this to anyone that wants to truely enjoy thier home theater experience. to me there is nothing worse than trying to enjoy a movie on an out of tune system.

My mom really wants a plasma. They are way to expensive though.

i dont like the big screen lcd's or plasmas they seem to have a yucky "digital" halo around every moving object

If you have an older, or a basic sat reciever you will also need a newer or higher end one that is HDTV compatible.

I really recommend getting the best sat reciever you can for the amount you have to spend. I have some low end rcvrs, and then a nice one. The features, and use really are worth it, and a doggy old Sat rcvr just isn't any fun after using a new one in the family room.

Arrow said:
i dont like the big screen lcd's or plasmas they seem to have a yucky "digital" halo around every moving object

ooh wow! Yer a rare breed then Arrow. I've read about that kind of "rainbow" effect. From what I read very few people can actually see that. However I thought it was only present in DLP sets. I have a DLP set and havn't noticed anything to that effect. Aside from the non-flat dimensions, that effect is supposed to be the only drawback to DLP's... well actually there's still the price issue... :p

I ordered an HD Sat. receiver and HD channel package from Dish Networks today.
With help from you guys and a trip to my local AV shop I think I'm on the right path.

I already have Dish so the HD receiver is free and the HD package is only 9.99 a month but got in on a special for 4.99 a month for a year. I have HBO and Showtime so their HD channels are no cost. All in all I'm impressed with how little they charge.

It will take a week to ten days to get the equipment shipped so I'm on hold till then.

This thread has got me thinking I am going to switch Sat providers. It seems Dish is a very good company as far as customer service.

As for Direct TV Uhhg... There's and advertisment for a free DVR(tivo rcvr) and two extra room rx's for free if you sign up now, or you are a new customer.

Me, A loyal 2 year customer They want $200 for a DVR, and $99 for each additional RX if I sign for a year of upgraded service to boot (extra $30 a month) .. So what they are saying basically is..
If you are new to DTV we'll give you everything for free..If you are an old loyal customer.. go get screwed

Dish on the other hand is giving away a free DVR and 3 rx's with service, and no contract :D

So if I don't mind having a guy do the install. For the same price per month I can get two nice RX's, a free DVR, and no monthly contract. BTW their basic service is really close about $35 a month for either DTV or Dish..Lemme go grab the phone..

I have a certificate for you if you are going to change.
I get some free stuff and so do you.
PM me your e-mail addy. If the cert is a better deal then use it. If not, no harm no foul

FastEddy, congrats on the plasma HDTV purchase. (I think I can understand why your wife might be looking a little harder at the counter tops. LOL)

Anyway, in spetember, I got a 52" rear projection DLP Toshiba. I've been down this road. From the Sat end, it sounds like the above info has got ya covered. Now if you wanna get down right rightious, check out that $1000 Tivo unit. It record your digital sat info and as an added bonus (get ready), it can record HDTV via OTA. "Over The Air" takes ya back to the days when you had an antena on your house, but why go back to the stone age? Well, it's digital now. No more snow -- ever. In fact, it's the oposite. It's completely digital. Chances are your local major networks, NBC, CBS, FOX and ABC are all transmitting tasty digital HDTV signals to your house right now. All you need to do it erect an antena and plug it into the back of that Tivo unit. It will only cost you the price of the antenna (free broadcasr). That Tivo unit will record, in high def, the SAT feed and the OTA antenna. It also has multiple tuners. Now, you not only get those 4-5 digital Dish channels, but you also get digital local networks as well. :thumbup:

If you're not into TiVo, you should be able to find a plain OTA decoder for like $800 or something. (I didn't research that much as I'm a Tivo convert)

best of luck with your digital programming FastEddy. :cheers:

FastEddy said:
TIVO, GOOD
Analog, BAD

HD-DVR250.gif

a little info on it:

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=HD-DVR250

and this tivo community forum is full of info on it:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=36

Back