Laptop screen problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samrsnow

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a Dell Vostro 1500 laptop that everyone in my house uses and for some reason the screen will not light up...? I turned it off and back on, open and closed it and it worked again for a couple of days but now it just doesn't light up at all when I turn it on. I can see everything going on the screen but it is almost black and very hard to see anything. I don't know what the problem is? it is from like 2002 but works great still besides the screen. Any ideas? :\

I'm guessing it's the screen itself that's finally given up after 8 years.
You can buy a replacement screen on line. They are very easy to replace.
There should be a brightness control that might have been turned down accidentally. You'll want to check that first.

Everything works normally and I can see everything on the screen but only under a light.

It seems like the back light or whatever isn't working?

The screen plugs in with a ribbon strip. No actual plugs, just the copper ribbon being pinched in the contacts.
You can find a manual on line that will show you how to open your model if you can't figure it out.
It might be as simple as a corroded contact, and an unplug and replug might take care of it.
It could also be that one of the leads in the ribbon has cracked after bending so many times through the years every time the unit is opened and closed. That ribbon is also available on line.
Good luck. Keep us posted on what you find.

It could also be your LCD power inverter. The one on my Gateway is out, but I plug it into an old VGA monitor if I need it for something. After everything it has been through I have pretty much retired it.