Lap counting system

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krimy123

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Flying
Hello everyone ,
I was wondering , if I want to make a racing track but I want some type of lap counting system. Something that would give stats and different stuff regarding racing.
What brand should I be looking into ? What type of equipment should I be ordering ? Is there any packages ?

thanks

Most tracks use LiveRC. My old LHS used RCScoring Pro. In order to use them you need to hook up transponders. Most racers use the MyLAPS transponders which are anywhere from 80-120 dollars depending if you get the 3 wire or the 4 wire transponders. Also to count the laps and everything I think tracks have a line under the track for the times and laps. For example once the transponder goes over the line it will shout out a time (if in practice mode) or count another lap. For equipment I would get a laptop and a speaker. Not sure about packages.
Also for equipment maybe a mixer and microphone if you do races.

Last edited:
so the liverc is like an app or like a website to store your results ????
What I want is to be able to put transmitters on rental cars , and for people to race with some friends and being able to electronicaly know who is the winner with a computer system.
I saw the MyLAPS transponder , but there dosen't seem to have any type of reader in the "rc" section ?

LiveRC is a website. The MyLAPS transponders should work with both the LiveRC and RCScoring Pro. Also, each transponder will have a number. In the system you can name the transponder to the name who is driving or the name of a car.

I am guessing that you would but I'm not sure though. I can talk to my old LHS owner to see what he did.

its called a loop not a line. there are different transponders . some use a led and pickup above track. 4 wire wow new one me. 3 wire or 2 is common

Last edited:
Live time rc sells mylaps transponders and counting system. I have 0 experience with the device and system, but one thing I know for sure is that it's not cheap.

This is the website. If I were you I would give them a call directly so they can explain how it works and what is compatible.
https://store.livetimescoring.com/

Unfortunately a lot of rc racetracks are closing all the time, so I am pretty sure you can find a timing sistem used for half a price or less
You can see the results on liverc website. You have an option to see live, or previous race results, and with premium membership you can see ideos of the races too. This is the link of my local racetrack
https://thunderdome.liverc.com/

Last edited:
This is the website. If I were you I would give them a call directly so they can explain how it works and what is compatible.
https://store.livetimescoring.com/
I would look at this.
Unfortunately a lot of rc racetracks are closing all the time, so I am pretty sure you can find a timing sistem used for half a price or less
True alot of places are closing. My old LHS owner kept his system for the future because he possibly plans to get more money and reopen.

Yeah I saw that it was quite expensive, but it's something I really want to get. I also sent an email to livetimescoring asking them what I would need for my track , hopefully they will be able to let me know exactly.

thanks everyone for the info

Yeah I saw that it was quite expensive, but it's something I really want to get. I also sent an email to livetimescoring asking them what I would need for my track , hopefully they will be able to let me know exactly.

thanks everyone for the info
Start step by step. First finish your tekno. Then visit couple race tracks within driving distance and get some experience. Then make a makeshift track at your barn, nothing crazy, just to get you going. Then invite couple friends or invite people from your area through local FB groups. Then you go from there, if there is any interest you can invest in equipment and better quality track, either clay or carpet.

That's what I would do.

Then invite couple friends or invite people from your area through local FB groups.
I am joined to this one group called "Backyard RC Tracks" there is some helpful people on there with some cool tracks.
Then you go from there, if there is any interest you can invest in equipment and better quality track, either clay or carpet.
I think carpet is the best on maintaining it and changing the layout. Same with AstroTurf but there is nothing wrong with a dirt or clay track. :cool:

+1 for TrackMate, I have that system and it works flawlessly with excellent support for exporting the results.

I also own LapMonitor which is easier to setup and better for smaller groups, but doesn't really export the results as nice if you're wanting to post them to a public web page:
https://lapmonitor.com/store/en/

Back