Lack of power - LRP.32 savage x

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abercorn

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have got a HPI Savage X with an LRP .32 Standard exhaust The rest of the car is stock apart from the heavy duty spur gear and clutch bell.

It does not seem to have that much power, and will not and will not wheelie. I have tried tuning to temperature and tuning to exhaust smoke but still no joy. It also seems to struggle to get into the second gear as well.

Any help would be really appreciated as I'm about to pull what little hair I have out! :whhooo:

Thank you!

is that all you base your power on is wheelies?

is it fully broken in? took me almost a gallon before my .32 was ready for that full tune! a tune will affect shift points and if i remember correctly, my LRP would wake up at about 260degrees or so.

Last edited:
The LRP .32 is a monster. If it seems underpowered, there is a problem with the engine, the kit or the abilities of the person tuning it.

You need to tell us a little more, though. If this engine was used, the piston and sleeve could very well be shot. It doesn't take much to wreck them; lack of break-in, one bad overheat or a couple times leaving the piston at TDC on cool down, and they're junk.

Don't base it on wheelies but I find it helps when I brought it for mostly that reason, more power for short run up distance for my type of jumps, it has done bang on a gallon as if this afternoon!

Take your airfilter off and see if the carb is opening fully, you might just need to make a minor linkage adjustment, or perhaps your throttle servos isn't up to the task.

it new, tuned to the way the posts recommended on here, so idle for to tanks, 1/4 throttle for 3 tanks, then 1/2 throttle of 2 tanks, so well above what LRP say, any other ideas? :)

The carb opens fully and closes between .5 mm and 1mm. Any other thoughts:(

---------- Post added at 5:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:44 PM ----------

This is not my first nitro car, I have 5 other and I can get them running fine, but this is my first bigger engine with this must power, any other help would be great! Nice one

I have checked the slipper but I will check again thank you for that, I'm not very good with computers as this is the first time on a forum so wouldn't have acute how to put on a video but I will try if this would help me out! Thanks again :)

I've got a lrp .32 coming tomorrow and from what I've heard there a top engine.

are you using the crappy plastic pipe? that could be part of the problem, if yiou are, get a decent tuned pipe. those plastic things are power draws

I do have a crappy plastic pipe and a tuned pipe just arrived so I will try that and keep you posted!!

did youseal that motor before you put it in the truck? you may have an airleak somewhere (carb base, backplate, needle riser) get that pipe on first and see how it goes

Also check your clutch and springs. A worn clutch could cause a lack of punch so to speak.

Snug up your slipper clutch...

Agreed 100% (for wheelies)

Can you explain not much power? Is it not getting RPMs you want? Or not have punch? Or....? Need to understand specifically what it's not doing. The stock pipe is not too bad for the 4.6 (IMO. What is recommended for that LRP?

I don't have an LRP but regarding wheelies...I've found that your tune should not dictate wheelies on the Savage. Ie Don't tune it to do wheelies. Instead tune it to scream like a banshee...like you normally would. .THEN modify your torque via the slipper clutch to do wheelies/not do them, etc.

What fuel/plug are you using?

Slipper clutch

Just bought a 2 piece heavy duty slipper clutch could some one give me some advice on how I fit it I've got a rough idea but I need to get it right ..
Thanks

Back