Kyosho Fazer MK2 Spur Gear Upgrade

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRC

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I'm new to the forum, but have been told there isn't anything that can't be answered from this Forum. So here it goes: I just built a Kyosho Fazer with a bunch of power I had left from previous RC builds. Id like to upgrade the Spur but I have not found anything that is compatible. I ordered a metal spur from Amain Hobbies, and it has no way for it to attach to the driveshaft component. The Fazer comes with a spur that has an extension attached to the gear that holds pins for it to catch the driveshaft. Has anyone upgraded the gears on this car? If so, where did you buy the parts and which parts did you buy? Thanks!

I feel like that's a fair ask lol So what you see below: Black spur gear is the stock gear (yes its shredded, hence needing to upgrade) I bought the metal spur gear from Amain Hobbies that is labeled "Kyosho Fazer Mk2 Metal Spur Gear (76T)" But you can tell, there is no place for the pins like the stock one, and i honestly can't find what I need to be able to upgrade this gear. @Tunedpipe

Attachments

• IMG_4013.JPG
    IMG_4013.JPG
    300.4 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_4019.JPG
    IMG_4019.JPG
    485.9 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_4020.JPG
    IMG_4020.JPG
    502.5 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_4017.JPG
    IMG_4017.JPG
    534.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4018.JPG
    IMG_4018.JPG
    543.2 KB · Views: 111
Here is one thing you might think about. Upgrading a spur gear sometimes isn't the way to go. Metal spur will transfer the shock from a hard hit to a weaker part. Usually more expensive.
If it were me, I would buy three for four stock spurs and rework the mesh. It looks like to me the pinion and spur wasn't lined up very well.

Also, another great point, as i recognize my alignment might have been off and could be changed to have a better connection, i failed to mention (which I'm realizing is very important in the first post) this isn't just to have metal gears, its more to test and enhance the motor choices. Currently I'm running a 4.5T motor that needs time to spool in order for it to reach its full potential, meaning bigger spur, smaller pinion. I am just having a hard time finding Kyosho Spur gears that can be larger for me to attain the performance I am looking for. I actually did purchase 3 more stock spurs yesterday just to have as backups, but I know with my 68T Spur and my 26T pinion I can only get so far on my top speed due to the ratio needed for my motor.

So thats the long and short of this exploration of aftermarket Spur Gears on this MK2. @Tunedpipe

I get it bud. I put a metal spur in my Typhon because it eats spurs like Lays Potato Chips, "you can't just eat one".

If running stock pinions, I would go Robinson Racing harden. "Softer" pinions, being non hardened, cheaper steel, aluminum, brass etc wont last as long. As the pinion wears, it sharpens and changes the pitch, making it easy to shread spurs.

The next thing is the motor. Once you get the motor set with the correct mesh, take one screw out and add a smidge of blue locktite. That will hold the motor from vibrating loose. Make sure your screw is healthy, if its starting to round, buy a new one first.

If the screw wont come out when needed, a soldering iorn to to heat the screw up should break it free.

Back