Just got this one today...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris407

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
i purchased this Savage for $175 and plan on restoring it over the next few weeks. It's in good shape and i will be tearing it down this weekend for a basic tune up of the shocks and differentials, then i will be cleaning the engine and carb. It also needs a steering servo but i am in no hurry to run her and plan on having her pristine before i take her out :)
IMG_1148.JPG
IMG_1149.JPG
IMG_1150.JPG
IMG_1151.JPG
IMG_1152.JPG
IMG_1153.JPG

What's better the 4.6 or 5.9 model. I've never owned either but I have always liked the savage. I was just wondering the pro's and con's to the 4.6 vs the 5.9. I'm sure the 5.9 is more powerful but what about handling and jumping etc?

i have not ised the 4.6 yet but the 3.5 i have has been great. when i get this pne going i will report.
Here she is this morning after being stripped apart and cleaned last night, transmission is good and i will be cleaning the engine tonight and rebuilding the differentials. i am going to get a new shock kit so i won't bother with them right now.
IMG_1155.JPG

Engine and carb are clean and lubed and has no damage, installed the new 17 tooth clutch bell gear he sent with it, Differentials cleaned out and rebuilt with 30k oil, new fuel lines installed and air filter. i forgot to buy the fiel filter today but i ordered one online. Coming soon: New shocks, tuned pipe and steering servo! Thank you @Nitrobuzzard
IMG_1190.JPG
IMG_1189.JPG
IMG_1188.JPG
:)

you did very well, nice one
I think the stock savage gt2 blue body looks the best out of all of them so far, I've been after a brand new one for a while

yeah the body i got is scratched up so i will be buying a new one. is this the body you were talking about?

i feel the same about the scratched up motor head but i will leave it for now because it works as good as a new one but for $25-$40 i am tempted to order a pretty new one... but i hate to trash something that works perfect just for a little cosmetic damage. Although i am a basher i like to land on my wheels more than my roof :D

Attachments

• IMG_1191.JPG
    IMG_1191.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Yea, sweet looking body, it has just the right shape and amount of design of the paint job, the newer ones (gt3) seem over the top on the paint scheme, the pinky one they did is awful but thats just my taste

Check out this bashing spot i found today!

Attachments

• IMG_1201.JPG
    IMG_1201.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1203.JPG
    IMG_1203.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1202.JPG
    IMG_1202.JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 184
IMG_1258.JPG
IMG_1259.JPG
IMG_1260.JPG
IMG_1261.JPG
Here's where we're at today. i switched to the big bore shocks and added a fuel filter and a new cooling head. i fixed the wobbly gas tank with fuel line so it is much better, tore off the most of the body decals. i need to mount the fuel filter and on friday i am buying a new Tx/Rx for my vehicles and a Savox steering servo for the Savage.

thanks again @Nitrobuzzard

Last edited:
Spektrum DX4C is looking like the most common but i am not buying until Saturda so i am still open to change my mind :)

This steel spur gear sure is heavy, i didn't even think about that but i'll give it a try. Also i put the 2.4gz reciever from the Trophy 3.5 in the Savage because i tore up the buggies motor so i haven't got the controller yet. I bought new parts for the MT and Buggy too.
IMG_1522.JPG
IMG_1523.JPG

Last edited: