just another engine temp post

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moe7404

Hardcore RCTalk User
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
i have a t-maxx 4908 3.3 engine. i just ran 3 tanks of fuel. it seamed to me it didnt put out full power till it got totaly warmed up. is this the way 3.3s are? i dont realy mind. its just that iam tuning and tuning till it gets warmed up, very frustrateing. cause sometimes it dies for no reason. allso i found out it seams to run just fine with 0% nitro, just methanol and oil. i found a speed shop that sells methanol for $2.70, and 2 cycle oil at the hobby shop 16 oz for $7.5. this mix cost a LOT less than reg nitro fuel at the hobby shop.

Not having full power until fully warmed up is normal for all of these small engines. I think your biggest problem is the 0% nitro. Methanol burns a lot cooler and differently than nitro. I think you need to up the compression ratio and experiment with glow plugs, I'd say go hotter.

I've been contemplating running straight methanol myself,let me know if you get the bugs worked out! :D

well racer the only trouble i had was the slow warm up. and i did forget that methanol runs cool. at the drag strip ( full size cars ) i have seen intake manafolds have ice on the out side. the shim on the 3.3 is very thin, i dont think taking it out will do much. one way is to machine the head, not unlike a full size car engine. but that opens a lot of questions, ie how much ect. could we get info from traxxas?

tryed to start it on 0% got it started once, did not want to idle. then it died. took the air filter off, it seemed that when i cranked it it pushed fuel out the intake. i didnt think these little engines had that much revertion. will try 30% in the morning. i put 3 differant glow plugs in the ignitor they all seemed to not get red next to the ground . whats a guy to do?

Back