Jl .28 max or new picco p series .21 max

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R-morris29

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have a traxxas t-maxx 3.3 and want more power because I have 40 series proline trenchers so I looking for a good reliable motor any help on this?

I have a tmaxx 3.3 and want more power because I have 40 series proline trenchers so I looking for a good reliable motor any help on this?

I would go with the .28 if you want monster torque. The Picco .21 is will give you more speed. I prefer the .21 Picco's. I have one has had 7 gallons of fuel put through it and the compression is still awesome!

You should definitely upgrade your drive line if you haven't already, especially
with 40's. I'd recommend 3908 brushless diffs, full set of steel CVD's*, FOC in the tranny
and if you start stripping tranny gears, maybe some RRP steel gears.

* I haven't tested the plastic 3.3 axles with my bigger engine/ tire combos.
But they appear to be pretty stout and may hold up just as well as CVD's

Thanks for the fast response I do plan on upgrading my Center drive shafts and possibly steel spur gear I mostly just bash I'm still up in the air which is the best choice any options? Also is it smart to upgrade to a big block pipe with the jl .28 max if so what kind?

Start by changing your gearing,you will be surprized at how much of a difference 4 teeth on the spur will make

With a the jl .28 max? Cuz if your talking the stock 3.3 it's blown and that's why I'm looking to upgrade I'm looking for the perfect set up?

I didn't realize it was blown,..I tell y a man a good .21 is perfect for a maxx imo, I've owned a maxx or 10 since it was first released yeeeears ago, I always run a plastic spur, you need a week point somewhere in the driveline! It all comes down to how much you wanna spend, going with the .28 max will cost around 400$ without a good pipe to upgrade everything,

Last edited:
I understand the cost but I don't know if a .21 is gunna have the power I'm looking for? Because once I up grade the driveshafts and few other things to steel I shouldn't have much to worry about correct?

Well if u want stupid fast then go big with the .28, but a good .21 is plenty fast , a good .19 is faster than the 3.3".20"so, ....just trying to help you understand what your getting into is all man!...geared right a 3.3 will weelie on demand with those trencher x,

Okay man I appreciate all the input do you know anything about the new picco p max .21 and what would be a good gearing ratio for one?

Hulk would be the man to get hands on experiance from with that engine, from what I've heard it is a beast of a .21....I ran a os .21 tm that a reallly liked on the maxx,I guess the picco .21 has some more power compared to the os, add a good pipe and header combo and should be a powerhouse

The Picco .21 from my experience has a better top end than the Ofna .28 Maxx. I am currently running the Picco .21 on my revo with stock gearing FOC with stock plastic driveline no problems with breakage. My buddy is running the ofna .28 in his and my Picco .21 has a little more top end than his .28, and yes you need a BB pipe setup with the .28 to get top performance out of it. It would be a good idea to upgrade to a 1/8th scale clutch on the Ofna .28. My friend exploded several 1/10th scale clutches before upgrading to a savage xl aluminum clutch on his. I would take a Picco over just about anything else anytime. Not saying the ofna .28 is junk though because there an awesome engine also. And no need to worry about torque with the Picco .21 mine will lift the front tires in second gear pretty easy and I also run 40 series proline pin tires. I am also running a 1/10th scale MIP high stall clutch. I have never had an issue with it holding up. Hope this helps. Also if you go with the ofna .28 I would go with a set of RRP steel gears.

Clutch wise go for the m2c 3 shoe setup , I have them on both my .26 and .28 powered revos and they hold up very nicely

So by the sound of it the picco .21 is the way to go? It's just I bash with a savage XL and a mgt 8.0 and those things rip so I was trying to go big block without having to rebuild half my truck....

So by the sound of it the picco .21 is the way to go? It's just I bash with a savage XL and a mgt 8.0 and those things rip so I was trying to go big block without having to rebuild half my truck....

I own a Savage XL and two Monster GT's both 4.6 getting ready to convert one over to a race truck with a LRP.32 BB. Any way my old # 4910 maxx with the Picco .21 is as fast actually faster than the XL and runs right with my MGT's both 4.6 engines. From my experience the 4.6 seems faster than the 8.0.

Hi so I take it most of you prefer the picco p max .21 is there anything good about the ofna jl .28 max?

Havn't heard anything bad about it, I was just trying to explaine that you dont need a big block to go fast man, guys new to the hobby with traxxas mills automatically think they need a big block to compete with the other kits out there, the traxxas mills are just an entry level engine imo, and there not real fast

The Ofna .28 maxx is a beast of an engine man. It's basically a BB engine way more torque than you would ever really need. They are easy to tune and hold a tune well. Everyone has a preference on engine choice. I just prefer the Picco's. Lrp's a great engine in BB also.