Jato Project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SchrodeMode

Hardcore RCTalk User
Active Military
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Picked up a Jato roller from a guy for $40 today. I've been wanting a Jato trans to use for mock up on a project I've been pondering, trans are about $45 on E-Bay so this one was $5 cheaper and came with a rolling chassis. Its pretty rough so I will do a full tear down, clean, and inspect before I throw it back together. I need to get some detailed ones up here for Rolex, I hear dirty trucks turn him on.
IMG_8450.gif

2012-03-10144546.gif

These are for Rolex, looks like this may be one of your trucks.
2012-03-10160700.gif

2012-03-10160712.gif

2012-03-10160753.gif

2012-03-10160825.gif

use methanol and then blast it with air. get the dual disk break set up from hot racing, use loc-tite on the center screw, and nail it

It's already in tear down mode getting ready for an overnight soak followed by a morning scrub. I wish I could download and print the IPB from Traxxas like I did with all my other trucks, for some reason the Jato's is an interactive page where you can click the part numbers, no numbers show up when you print it.

I think it's time I get myself a jato... of course not one this dirty. :hehe:

I threw up in my mouth a little when I saw the pics! If Rolex ever sees this you'll be all set. He would probably fly to you and clean it for you! All seriousness- Good luck getting it cleaned up and running

Well its all clean and put back together, only bad thing is the throttle servo is shot and its missing the two little spacers for the motor mount. A couple screws are in the wrong spot or missing so a screw and bearing kits will be heading its way.

2012-03-11043203.gif

Good god it looks brand new lol! I would have a doc check your resperatory system incase you inhaled some diseases lol. Looks great

get the duel disk break system, by hot racing. use loc-tite on the center screw, and really nail it. also i put a return spring on the break rod to releave the disks, when you put the throttle on. i tied the spring to the gear box brace. drilled a hole be side front edge of the spur gear, hook the sprimg there, go forward to put the collar on the rod. but put only enough pressure to release the break.

Well I am looking for a little help here, I am trying to build this Jato up for less than $100 as part of a build off for another forum. If anyone has any spare parts for CHEAP let me know, right now I'm in need of the spacers from the engine mount, dirt guards and mid chassis battery cover. If not no big deal because the E-Bay chop shops are calling to me lol.

Well, I got a few of the parts from the spare parts bin at my LHS and had it running the other day. I don't have the exhaust from the Jato and used the one off my Nitro Rustler, it doesn't quite fit right though. The pipe hits on the roll bar, does anyone know what would do this? Looking at a overhead view of the Jato I can only assume the header is angled a little further than the Rustler's. Looks like I'll be heading to E-Bay to grab the correct one from a chop shop. On a good note everything ran fine and the transmission shifted nice and smooth, it's nice to not traction roll as easily as my Rustler does. I still haven't run the 3.3 in it being as it's in my Rustler, I need the extra umph of the 3.3 with Trenchers on the Rustler.

Still doing a build for less than $100, I'm sitting at $48 in it now with the sheet metal. Going for a sandrail/side by side look, it's going to have the cage with sheet metal panels. I never got the correct exhaust for it, I was able to fix it with the proper number of zipties, so that saved me $20. After this budget build I'll start looking at real upgrades and doing a build. Here's a pic with the 3.3 and the top bar for the cage, still just mocking the cage up trying to find what lines I like. It will have side panels along with a roof and hood, kind of like a Wraith style body where it's just panels attached to the cage.

2012-04-12210550.gif

I never finished the "budget build", I ended up just running it without a body for a while. The last time I ran it was before I moved to England and I had run it in a volleyball pit, it was covered in sand. I finally decided to put some upgrades on it last night, I've been collecting these over the last few months and only buying them when I could get them cheap. I picked up RPM arms, Traxxas aluminum parts for the corners and a New Era roll bar. The arms and roll bar were the only parts close to (but still under) retail, the rest were well under. I also picked up a body for it, I just need some new body mounts before I can mount it up.

DSC_0001_zps08a7aea8.jpg

DSC_0002_zps1b53579a.jpg

DSC_0007_zps70f91125.jpg

DSC_0005_zps6c6933b7.jpg

DSC_0006_zpsd65e0adb.jpg