I've got a few noob questions.....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robd928

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
In brand new to the world of R/C so please bear with my noobness....

I have an HPI Trophy Truggy 4.6
I was looking it over tonight and have a few questions.

Is the fuel tank supposed to have a little play or be mounted tight to the bottom?

Are the servos supposed to be mounted tight also? My throttle survived is a bit loose?

Are the front tires supposed to be towed out slightly?

I need tires and would also like to replace the wheels, what size are the tires and where's the best place to get them?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

---------- Post added at 9:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:16 PM ----------

I meant to say the throttle SERVO is loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Depending how the tank is mounted, it might have a bit of play.
Servos should be tight and just have a slight movement through the rubber grommets.

Front wheels should NOT be toed out or it will get really squirrely at speed. They should be at zero or one degree toed in.

Front wheels should NOT be toed out or it will get really squirrely at speed. They should be at zero or one degree toed in.

Hmmm...did you mean to write front toe IN should be rarely used? I agree toe in "theoretically" increases stabilization on the straights, but almost impossible to hit the corners. We race most of our vehicles 1-2 degree OUT, which is common for most 1/8 buggy/truggy racing...the only exception is my Mugen MBX6R, which I run at 0 degree,

Rear toe of course, should always be negative (I run -4 degree in a few vehicles).

Of course every vehicle/driver is different, but toe out in the front is fairly mainstream...at least in my experience.

(Note: Not trying to start a debate...just don't want the OP to think he can't run toe out.) ;-)

As I mentioned, no toe out for speed. If you are looking to make hard turns on a track, that's the only time you would want it toed out.

In brand new to the world of R/C so please bear with my noobness....
Are the front tires supposed to be towed out slightly?

So the answer to this question is yes. Simply search for Front Toe Setups in RC and you'll get the information you need. There is a reason that is how it is (it was not a manufacturer mistake). ;-)

I say this only to help. Front Toe In will not make the car faster. Only easier to control at higher speeds. If you do begin changing it, be sure they are equal length suggest digital calipers--as regardless of postive/negative front toe....precise length is extremely important!

If you plan on racing this truggy...my suggestion is leave the setup stock (camber, toe, roll center, droop, ride height, etc. etc) until you are fairly consistent at the track. Then, you'll have an idea on how you'd like the truggy to behave and you tune the setup from there. Just remember if the smallest changes will have a large impact - so change only one thing at a time so you can evaluate the results. Hope this helps.

Back